Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: Lithy 101 Range Report.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lithy 101 Range Report.

Besides AR stocks, I have two other plastic stocks that I "like". The first is the so-called "paddle" stock that Ruger put out something like 20 years ago.
My .338 Win Mag has that stock. http://thehunterslife.com/forums/att...8&d=1109814471
In addition, it is made of stainless steel. Don't care for either from an aesthetic point of view. I bought the rifle in a knee-jerk reaction to the events of a coastal brown bear hunt with what had been up to that point a rifle I called the "ultimate weapon". After the hunt I now refer to it as "the sissy gun", and I went and bought my first over-7mm caliber rifle, the Ruger .338 in stainless with plastic stock.

I couldn't refuse to buy it as the price - new in the box - was a STEAL. I looked at it and said to myself, "That thing is going to kick like a MULE!". How wrong I was. It is amazing to me how that stock absorbs recoil. That rifle is no more 'mulish' than an '06 with stiff loads. Then I shot a caribou at 287 paces. When, looking through the 'scope after the shot all I could see was four feet sticking up in the air, I fell in love with that rifle. Pert near half of all the big game animals I have taken have been taken with that rifle. I have no intentions of changing it to make it "pretty".

The second plastic stock that I love to hate is on the 8mm SLT.

It is a McMillan if I remember correctly. Midway was having a close-out sale on this stock with the Mauser inletting. Not only is it plastic, it's camo. Insult to injury. However, it was $45 on sale, normally, $160. I really needed a stock to test fire the SLT in, and 'the price was right'. I could always get the stock I wanted after I 'proved' the SLT. Uh oh. It's shooting like it's laser-guided. That's OK. It'll shoot like that with a wooden stock too. Uh oh. Deer hunt in Colorado coming up too soon to get wooden stock. I end up taking a doe mule deer with a head shot (only shot availabel) at a lasered 311 yards. I still "hate" that stock, but I make rifles to HUNT with, not shoot. If it shoots well enough for me to Hunt with it, I have a difficult time 'fixing' what ain't broke. I have learned over the years that fixing things that ain't broke usually leads to broken things.

So... I can 'tolerate' plastic stocks that perform, and I would NEVER begrudge anyone of the firearm configuration they like. I will never admire the looks of a plastic stock, but I can certainly appreciate them on a rifle that shoots very straight.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Last edited by gitano; 11-13-2014 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: Add pictures

Tags
.22 rf, lithgow 101, range report