Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > HUNTER'S GEAR REVIEW

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Field Knife...Home Made Sheath
Old 05-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Family Member

Jay Edward (deceased) will become famous soon enoughJay Edward (deceased) will become famous soon enough
Default Field Knife...Home Made Sheath

Now folks, I sewed this myself. (I know, I know, it looks it) I used rawhide for the sheath and artificial sinew (you can get through Track, Dixie or even Tandy, I believe).

As you can see, I'm no great shakes at this but it does work. My love painted the design and that kind of makes up for my 'handiwork'. I guess my point is that you should 'just do it' and be hanged to the quality. Why 100 years from now they'll say your work is collectable.

For materials you can hit 'yard sales' and 'used clothing stores'. You'd be amazed at what you can find in the way of inexpensive cast off leather goods. Hats, purses, old boots, etc.

The handle on this knife was finished and then covered with rawhide that was wet. It was sewn in place and left to dry. It shrunk down nicely and made a tight fit.

The knife blade was one of about a dozen I purchased from Track Of The Wolf. It has 'Green River' imprinted on the blade and is an old design. No matter how plain the blade looks, it works wonderfully in the game fields...it's timeless.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HE2004-4.jpg (95.9 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg greenriver blade.jpg (9.6 KB, 189 views)

Tags
sheath, leather