Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

On Regulating the .50 Alaskan's sights.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default On Regulating the .50 Alaskan's sights.

I went to the range yesterday to start the process of regulating the sights on the .50 Alaskan. Being Labor Day weekend, it was packed. I've never seen so many people there. To my right was a cop (with his brand new Corvette) with every fully automatic weapon imaginable as well as an M82 Barrett. To my left were a couple of young bucks with semi-auto "black" arms. The cop was impressing everyone with his fire-power, and the youngsters were spraying me with their ejected .223 cases - and shooting my target, because they weren't looking at the angle at which they had set theirs and what was beyond them. Oh well....

In spite of all of that, it wasn't a bad day with the .50. I have never before drilled and tapped and installed open sights, and then regulated them. I had some reservations on how it might all work out. For the most part it was 'good'. As usual when I'm sighting something in, I set my target at 25 yds to start with. Using some of the cast-bullet cartridges from the elk hunt last year, I was on the paper right away. Most significantly, windage was perfect. I was, however, about a foot high.

I moved the target to 100 yds and changed to the 500-grain Northwest Custom Projectiles-loaded cartridges. Again, the windage was perfect. I had hoped that the extra weight of the NwCP bullets and the increased range would mitigate the elevation issue, but it exacerbated it. Pretty much what I expected, but hoped against. At 100 yds I was 32" high. This however isn't that bad of news. I was using the very lowest post made for the front ramp. These posts are interchangeable, and come in a variety of heights. I do in fact have a high post, but I didn't bring it to the range with me.

I'll put that high front post on and head back to the range next weekend. Maybe the range won't be so crowded, and maybe the high post will bring things right into shape.

Paul

Tags
.338 mai, .50 alaskan, lothar walter