Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > BOWHUNTING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

New Arrows and their weights
Old 09-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road
Default New Arrows and their weights

Hi All,

Thinking on what Gitano has imparted about limb draw weights and arrow weights I decided to weigh the arrows I have including the new ones which arrived in the post this morning. So I now have three different arrow types these being:-

1) 8x Eastern Platinum 2016 Lite XX75 in 32" length (tip to centre of Nock) weight 466 grains. The alloy shaft is 5/16" (0.311")

2) 10x Armex alloy (8mm Dia) shaft 30" long with screwed in point =31" OAL weight 502 grains. The screw in point is alloy weighs 158 Grains.

3) Armex fibreglass 0.268" dia ( 6.83mm) 30 1/2" long including the this metal field point weighing 508 grains in total.

Ahhh well you guessed it well I couldn't wait until this evening to see how it goes so I am now down to 9 Fibreglass arrows it's buried in the grass of the field and I cannot find it. Dumb me just tried shooting it and watching where it went. No sight fitted to bow and the second time I shot it well it's lost in the thinck grass thatch on the field. I know where abouts it went but cannot find it. Naturally I WILL find it with the mower when cutting the field .

So I thought Ah-Ha I'll use a bag of bark chippings and shoot at that this time with the sight. Are you ready for a laugh?

I fetched a bag of bark chippings but it wouldn't stand up on it's own being only a 20 litre bag so I grabbed Dad's ..................... notice Dad's garden fork jammed stuck in the ground and lent the bag against it. the bark chippings are toughter than i though and the fibreglass arrow with it's blunted point bounced back out so I tried the alloy shafted/pointed arrows and missed to the left. Had a devil of a job finding the arrow even though I saw it went right at the base of the bag just to the left. Finally recovered it and tried again. The arrow struck dead centre and I mean dead centre and came flying back out and some white bit flew and landed just in front of me. Strange I thought. Went and retrieved the arrow to find the nock was missing. Yep the white bit and when I looked the point it's was very blunted. Yeah you guessed it straight through the bag and hit the NEW wooden fork handle dead centre I'll now have to rub the handle down to remove any splinters and possibly get a new handle and fit it. Will see how it goes.

Oh of course the new alloy shaft was bent too but I think with some care I have managed to straighten it. I will go and see a local farmer and see if we can get 6 nice big square bails to act as a backstop and I will buy the straw target roundal from the club TONIGHT! meanwhile I have numbered all the arrows, #10 in the alloys is the one I straightened.

Oh I managed to draw the Bow OK and will see how we do this evening with it before making the decision about lighter limbs.

Tags
archery, archery competition, arrows, compound bow, crossbow, spine