Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: New arrows
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New arrows

The longest shot I have ever made on a big game animal - small game too, for that matter - was 80 paces. It was a 65# bow, not 30#, but contrary to what all the "ethicists" (ptooey) scream, the animal didn't run off to "suffer a lingering death". Even at 80 paces, the arrow passed COMPLETELY through the caribou, and he ran less than 100 yds before 'piling up' - quite dead.

There were considered reasons why I was willing to take such a long shot.

1) It was a relatively 'large' target.
2) It was wide open tundra, in which nothing higher than knee-high grows, therefore I wasn't going to "lose" the bull in the "woods".
3) I knew my weapon - both the lethality of the projectile and its flight characteristics.

My point is this: Modern arrows, POINTS, and bows are very lethal weapons at ranges WAY beyond what the "ethicists" (ptooey) scream. As it is with EVERY weapon Man chooses to use to take game, it is critical that one knows the specific weapon. If one knows one's weapon, there will be no shots taken that would not reasonably lead to the animal's quick death. Arbitrary "ethical" standards - like the typical 20 to 30 yd that the archery ethicists scream - are stupid. And stupid is as "nice" as I can put that.

I'm just amazed - and I MEAN amazed - that there isn't screaming and shouting, gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair, about how bad an "example" it is setting to "practice" at 60 and 80 yd.

For what ever reason, I never found archery target practice "relaxing". Neither do I find it "stressful". It's just not something I would choose to do to "relax". Now, a walk in the 'woods' to find bunnies and grouse to arrow, that would be relaxing. Reloading I find relaxing. Weaving at loom, I find relaxing. Working on a lathe, be it wood or metal, I find relaxing.

I think, just like with fly-fishing, the ethics fascists, have taken all the "relax" out of the activity for me. I am genuinely happy for those that can ignore the the shrill screams of "Look at me. I'm important. I know what's right, and I'm going to tell you what is right", that the ethics fascists insist on shouting in everyone's faces. They become 'religious zealots' and insist on wearing their new-found religion on everyone else's nose.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc

Tags
archery, archery competition, arrows, bare bow, bow, carbon arrows, recurve, traditional archery