Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Anschutz .222 range report
Old 07-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Family Member

branxhunter is on a distinguished road
Default Anschutz .222 range report

Took the .222 out today to see what it could do. For those who haven't seen the other thread the rifle is a 1534 Anschutz .222 owned by an old school mate. It hasn't been used for 3-4 years because he could never get it group. He didn't reload and had a Nikko Stirling scope mounted on it at the time. I'm trying it out with a view to buying it, and wanted to see how it could shoot to be able to decide on a price (ie replace barrel or not).

I fitted a 6x40 Tasco Pronghorn scope and Weaver mounts that I had lying around and gave it a serious going over with Sweets solvent. I headed out this morning with a couple of boxes of Remington 50gr softpoints and set up at 25m then 50m to get it on paper.

I then moved back to 100m and shot the three groups in the first photo. I was shooting over a couple of seed bags half filled with potting mix laid on the roof of my little farm ute ( I am about 6'4'' so it is a good standing height).

While the 6 shot group was reasonable it was nothing special and the other two were fairly poor. It struck me I should check whether parallax was a problem - yep, the moving my eye around caused the cross-hair to descrie a circle of about 3" diameter around the POA.

I had a think over lunch and ended up taking a Tasco 10x40AO WC scope off my .17 HMR and putting it on the .222. I then moved a Weaver K8 off my PH .243 and put it on the HMR, and put a 3-9x40 Simmons on the PH. All-in-all probably a better match of scope for all three rifles.

Back out to the paddock, I re-zeroed the rfife at 25 and 50m then shot the group in the second photo. Now I'm no crack shot so I was pretty pleased with this group, particularly as with my "bench" set-up I could not hold exactly rock steady - the cross-hair was wavering all around within the black diamond aiming point. I think this rifle will be a keeper - it will be interesting to see what handloading and bedding might be able to achieve.

Marcus.

OBTW the background grid is 1/2" squares.

Also, does anyone know what the scribed lines on the Weaver K8 scope adjustments are? Are they 1/4" at 100 yards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anschutz222@100m #1.jpg (43.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Anschutz222@100m #2.jpg (38.8 KB, 11 views)

Tags
.222, anschutz, range report