Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > RELOADING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Back to the Future: Reloading Again for the 7x300 Weatherby
Old 10-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Administrator

gitano is on a distinguished road
Default Back to the Future: Reloading Again for the 7x300 Weatherby

Since I have decided to take my 7x300 Weatherby to Colorado next week to hunt mule deer, AND since I MIGHT need to take some shot at or slightly over 300 yds, I thought I might look into loading some bullets other than my "go to" 115-grain Speer HP, with which I have killed a LOT of critters. Trouble is, while it starts out 'smartly' with a MV of over 3300 f/s, it's BC of .250 causes it to shed that velocity (and more importantly, ENERGY), pretty quick. By the time it's out at 300 yd, the energy is down to ~1200 ft-lb. It drops to 1000 ft-lb at 380. Like I said, I've shot lots of critters with this rifle and bullet combination, and I do not want to shoot at big game beyond much over 325.

I was 'talking' with JaDub, sakorick, and Hunterbug here: http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums...741#post151741, and got to thinking about other bullets. (I LOVE the 115-grain HP. It shoots like a laser and they DIE RIGHT THERE! Inside 300. ) As a result, I went out and bought some 140 Accubonds and some Retumbo powder.

I'm going to relay the gory details of working up a load using some "longer range" bullet for this rifle. One I can confidently shoot out to 350 yd and know it will both have the energy I want AND shoot precisely enough to be confident to put it where I want it to go at that range.

First in what will likely be a bit of a "saga" is a picture of all of the 7mm bullets I have in hand. I will follow this with a data table of some of the important specifications of each bullet. From that will follow some comparisons of external ballisitics, and ultimately a final choice. I will get a load worked up and ammo loaded for Colorado. All in less than 7 days. Let's see if my theory and understanding of QuickLOAD will allow me to achieve this goal.

Paul

PS - There is only one bullet among those you can see in the picture that is ABSOLUTELY "out". It's the Hornady 162-grain BTHP. That is a target bullet with a TINY, CLOSED meplat. It is not suitable for use on big game. I WOULD use it on coyotes and smaller game though. Also, I notice that I have used up all of the Hornady 154-grain bullets that I used to have 'plenty' of.

Paul
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful." ~ C.S. Lewis.

Do not confuse technical skill for wisdom and do not confuse strength for skill. Paul Skvorc