Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Project BSA P-14 rebuild-Update- new barrel
Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 AM
Senior Family Member

Brithunter is on a distinguished road
Default Project BSA P-14 rebuild-Update- new barrel

Scroll down for photos of new barrel fitted

OK although this was a collectable it's now a rebuild project and this is what I have to work with:-

For those who have seen the photos of the rifle whole yes I have replaced the pitted P-H 6E aperture sight with another that I found on e-bay

BSA "Sanitised" the action removing the Military marks and who actually made the action. The magazine box, floor plate and mag follower are of Eddystone manufacture bearign the "E" stamp the trigger and sear appear to be Winchester. The original serial number is under the bolt handle as is 194091 so perhaps assuming it matches the action it's an Eddystone action? I doubt we will ever know for sure.

BSA did all the hard work we just have to repair the years of neglect it has suffered . It will require careful polishing to reduce the rust pitting before it can be re-finished but there we have a small problem as the safey cannot be removed as the screw is rusted solid. I have tried warming it but to no avail it will require careful drilling out which of course means sourcing a replacement screw. The safety does work, I thought it didn't but it turns out it was that rubbishy stock and it was fouling the safety thumb lever , that wlll teach me to look more closely .

Now we come to finding a new barrel for it the easiest way will probably be for a 7.62x51 take off target barrel that I will have to try and turn down to a more sporting profile. It could be left as a 7.62mm or reamed out to say 300 Win Mag as after all the bolt face is a compatable size being a .303 originally . As a variation has to be obtained anyway to get anything other than a .303 barrel fitted it should not really present a problem. I already have dies and cases for the 300 Win Mag from when I had the Ruger No1B may years ago. However as a Win mag it would really require a different stock than the sporterised P-H one I was thinking of using as they don't handle the recoil that well:-

In a lighter calibre it would be fine it of course requires a new pad to be fitted properly and not just slapped on as this one was. It was on it when I brought it a long time ago.

We will be making enquiries as to the prices of new barrels and having it fitted which requires proof of course. Well it seems it will remain a .303 as John Knibbs says he has a few new in the white barresl for these and that will require no variation so it's go to be the way to go.

Last edited by Brithunter; 05-29-2010 at 03:00 AM.. Reason: Update thread with new photos

Tags
bsa, p-14