Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > BIG GAME

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Bleaching a bear skull
Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 PM
Moderator at Large

davidlt89 has disabled reputation
Default Bleaching a bear skull

I decided not to get the hide tanned on my bear this year, just seemed like money we did not have right now so I decided to bleach the skull myself and see how it turns out. I figured there may be someone on here who is bored enough that this thread might seem interesting So I decided to show each process I go through right up until the end.
I took the hide out of the freezer Sunday and put it in the garage. It has been so cold here that is was just thawed enough today to start skinning. Now, keep in mind, I have never done this before, all suggestions are welcomed. I took one photo of the bear before I touched it. I then started by going across the top of the head and worked my way down. You would be surprised how much "meat" is on the head!!!!!
the second picture is off the base of the skull where the spine hooks on. I know on a human the first two vertebrae (C1 & C2) are called the atlas and axis. I stared at this for a few minutes and was baffled as how I was going to remove them from the skull. while I was thinking I happened to notice my hatchet and began to chop. I got rid of most of it, but I believe C1 is still there.
after that I just did the basic skinning job and got the rest. the last two pictures are after I was done removing the hide and some muscle.
I decided to call it quits for tonight and will do some more tomorrow. tomorrow I will remove as much meat as possible, get the eyes out, and remove the brains with a coat hanger. I read some tips for getting the rest of the meat off and I believe I will use Maceration to get the rest of the skin off of the skull. This will involve emerging the skull in a five gallon bucket of water and letting it rot. I will change 3/4 of the water every 4 days or so depending on the temperature outside and spray it down with a hose. Once this is done, I will soak it in lacquer thinner for a minimum of two weeks and be ready to post part II. God Bless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skull prep 001.JPG (35.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg skull prep 002.JPG (44.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg skull prep 003.JPG (36.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg skull prep 004.JPG (43.8 KB, 23 views)

2 Donít copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Godís will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Last edited by davidlt89; 10-21-2008 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: spelling