Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > BOWHUNTING

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Re: A New Journey
Old 08-20-2020, 05:49 PM
Senior Family Member

Nelsdou is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A New Journey

Range results with the “weighted” recurve bow turned out better than expected. This bow pulls 50 lbs at 28 inches and I am drawing it to 30 inches. My guess it is approximately 55 lbs at 30 inches. I shot at 10 and 20 yards using a mix of fletched wood and carbon arrows, including three bare-shaft carbons. Arrow weights are 450 to 550 grains. The field points used on the carbon arrows/bare shafts are screw in 190 grain points. Overall I estimated that I shot the bow about 100 times.

The felt hand shock was much reduced. The bow grip was much steadier in the hand upon arrow released and I had a new sensation of the limbs whipping forward independent of the riser. Arrow grouping on the target was good including the bare shafts. I figured that if there was any negative issues that it would show up with the bare shaft shooting. The bare shafts shot fine out to 20 yards with only some minor nock left which I attribute to a light cross wind.

All my weights stayed in place without any sign of shifting on the bow. So far, so good. I am going to keep plugging along with practice for the upcoming fall season. I will add the Slimjax dampeners soon and see if I can find an insulated bow grip made from rubber or beavertail for further hand shock reduction.

As a side note I recently observed on traditional Korean bows that they often have rather large sponge or rubber wrapping on the bow grip. I think they were on to something.