Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > MAKING STUFF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A New Rifle Rest
Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

recoil junky is on a distinguished road
Default A New Rifle Rest

And I NEED a rest or nap or food.

I decided that the "Bob" sled needed a windage adjustment so I made one.

The orange thing is plastic used to line loader buckets and such so it's pretty tough. It "works" just like steel but much easier. It can be cut with a carbide tipped circular saw blade. It slides in the "keepers" and is adjusted by turning the "wheel" which is connected to 3/8" all-thread. The plastic is threaded in the center of the hole for about 1/2". It was during the drilling (of the first test piece) that I discovered my drill press table and vise wasn't square with the chuck

Not to out do myself I decided to make a complete rest (including scissors jack) for Elkhamr and another for Jeff (a guy at work) as he's wanted one since he got to use the "Bob" sled. Now the original jack has "gears" to keep it from falling over. Well, with my limited machining tools I cannot "make" gears but I can make sprockets!!

Both the base and windage "apparatus" will need the chain and sprocket assembly to prevent "tipping".

With some creativity I can "pre-load" the #41 chain (1/2" pitch) to take ALL of the slop out of each "riser" as it isattached to the base and windage adjustment apparatus.

Here's what I have so far.

The windage apparatus is just setting on it's platform and will be attached as the first "test" apparatus. It's definitely "design as I go" and I consider myself lucky that I've only had to "trash" the first windage base as the metal was too thin, but in that trial I learned a lot about how to take the play out of threaded pieces. As you can see, the windage "wheel" is too big and I'll need to "adjust" it. Too bad I've made 3 wheels Also the end of the tube by the elevation wheel will have to be trimmed so you don't get a finger pinched while turning the wheel Also there will be a leveling wheel on the same side as the elevation adjustment. Yes it's made left handed as Elkhamr has to shoot left handed.

The "vee" front rest will be "padded" with closed cell foam (it's rather stiff) and covered with elkhide and the butt stock "pocket" will be made of 3" nylon webbing (old seat belts) with an elkhide and sheepskin pad to protect delicate stock finishes.

How much for me to build you one? If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Jeff is only going to be charged for materiels as he will be the "crash test dummy". I'm going to add a new scissors and the first windage apparatus to my original "Bob" sled later.

It comes in any color you want as long as that color is flat black.

RJ