Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > SMALL GAME

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Night time Fox
Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Family Member

jaeger88 is on a distinguished road
Default Night time Fox

Got a call from a farmer the other day, his wife had seen a Fox eyeing up her Chicken run a couple of times as she was about to lock the Chooks up for the night. The farmer himself was without a rifle, & didnít have time to deal with the problem himself anyway.
(He was without a rifle because he'd had 2 ( Yes two !) .17 HMR's "blow up" on him. More about that in a different thread).
Anyway, as there was now a contract out on this Fox, I thought Id do my best to nail it ASAP, & maybe accumulate some "Brownie points". Which would maybe go towards further invites.
I knew the time's this Fox had been seen, & being creatures of habit, I was expecting it to show up at a similar time & place every evening.
I got set up with my .22-250 on a hay bail, overlooking a small 2 acre pasture. I was almost regretting not bringing a .22 rim fire, as there was 8 or 9 Rabbits taunting me from between 5 to 50 yds out. I could almost taste Rabbit fried in bread crumbs !.
It was getting dark & I was about to mount the lamp on my rifle, when something considerably bigger than a Rabbit passed about 50yds in front of me. I couldn't tell if it was a Fox or a Muntjack, I couldn't see a Brush, & It didnt stop when I tried to call it in. It just kept going & passed through a closed 5 bar gate into the next field.
I mounted my lamp on the rifle as quick as I could, gathered up my gear, and after (carefully) negotiating an electric fence, I glassed the field through the gate. Nothing. Not a sign. It was still light enough to scan through Bino's. & I managed to open & shut the gate without too much noise, & crept down the nearest hedge with the wind in my favor. Still nothing. After creeping maybe 3/4's of the way down the field ( about 220/230 yds). I noticed the flock of about 30 yews looking at something, & it wasn't me. I got down behind the rifle, (not sure what I was laying in, but it didnt smell too savory), switched on the lamp & started calling. It didnt take long for Mr Fox's stomach to over rule his head & he came running in. He was looking big in the scope, but I couldn't shoot till he was clear of the sheep. When he was, I shouted to make him stop, He was almost broad side to me & ready to bolt, but I was a bit quicker than he was & a 52g A-Max put him down. Mr Fox turned out to be Mrs Fox, or rather Miss Fox, as I think she was this years cub.
Rifles a Sako 75 stainless synthetic in .22-250, load is 52g A-Max over 40g 0f H380, doing 3,717 fps over the chronograph, loaded in RP brass. Scopes a Sig Sauer Whisky 5, 5 to 25 x 52. Lamp is by Laser Genetics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5054.jpg (64.2 KB, 30 views)