Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Interesting comments, kombi1976
Old 09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Damien Edwards

Default Interesting comments, kombi1976

I managed to get it activated. Takes a day or 2, so it seems. A work mate was surfing garbage on google the other day, and typed in my name for giggles. He came across your blog in this forum. Interesting comments to say the least. Shoot me in the hand, hmm? If you're doing that with a Sturm-Ruger #1 I reckon I'd be safe. I was, in truth, thinking the other afternoon of just how I would blast you over this. Get myself onto that Hunter's forum and reply back with vengeance. Afterall, you did it to me, so I'm quite confident you should therefore have no dramas me doing it to you. But I managed to calm down after a coffee and Marlboro. It didnt upset me at all, really. It bacame immediately apparant that you dont like my writing. I've actually had some 30 to 40 odd articles printed in the SSAA Shooter, Hunter or Handgun magazines since 2004. I'm also being published by NZ Guns and Hunting, Outdoor Canada and a South African magazine called Magnum. You and the other chaps you were talking to mentioned a few of them, but theres plenty more besides. Anyway, its obvious that you dont care for my style, or what I write, what you've read of mine anyway. Perhaps you are a Ruger man. Theres a number of reasons I dont like that brand. As for the comment re 7x57mm vs 7mm-08, I wasnt trying to stir up an argument there. Since the dawn of the present century there have been enough 'new' cartridges introduced to cover any possible hunting situation. The wheel has been reinvented many times, and its not entirely over with. New cartridges are basically answers to problems solved generations ago. I did get the date of introduction right. Yes, the 7mm-08 was a wild cat, but from the 1950's, not 60's. It appeared soon after the advent of the parent case in 1952. Remington simply legitimised it in 1980, so therefore, thats the official date of introduction. The same goes for the host of other wildcats that were legitimised. .260 Remington, .416 Remington, .22-250 Remington, .257 Roberts and heaps of others. My editors have assured me that in the upcoming Hunter #31 out in October they are printing an article I wrote called 'cartridge trends in transition, whats in it for hunters?' It covers most of this ground. In fact in the current issue of Hunter, #29 I have a piece on bullet performance vs velocity. And no, I'm not all about the short action cartridges. I own both a .300 Holland and Holland magnum and a .416 Remington magnum, which are huge and require a long model 70 action to house them. Still, I'd be interested in your side of the coin, Kombi. I cant say I've been accused of talking down to readers before. I get tons of letters from all over full of questions, but no hate mail as yet, well until now anyway.