Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GUNS & AMMO > FIREARMS & OPTICS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

30-40 krag makeover
Old 11-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Moderator at Large

davidlt89 has disabled reputation
Default 30-40 krag makeover

Allrighty, the next project I want to try is a model 1898 springfield 30-40 krag. This gun was used by my dad to shoot the few deer he has ever shot. It certainly has not had any care in those years. Most of you guys know the history of the krag better than I, but for those of you who don't know, these guns were sportarized after the war. Barrels were shotened and they put the "hunting" stocks on them. Here is what it looks like now.

Stock in really not in good shape! Not to sure if some of the wood rotted or not, but I will be able to tell more once I get the stain out, or as much as I can. Stock has a real "greasy" feel. Don't believe it was ever coated with anything. I will start the stock first and move onto the blueing after. I have ordered some blue and rust remover to see just how well it works. If it is not doing what I want, I will take it to my buddy and have it bead blasted with ammonium oxide to really open up the pores on the steel. I am hoping I can do this all at "home", but time will tell. I would like to make a "new" stock for it, but a one piece stock seems like quite a project and way out of "reach" for me. I can see now though that this project will take a little time and some elbow grease. More to come! God bless.

2 Donít copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Godís will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.