Go Back   The Hunter's Life > HUNTING FORUMS > BIG GAME

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

the bear is down!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Moderator at Large

davidlt89 has disabled reputation
Default the bear is down!

Today marks the opener of yet another Maine bear season. I got out of work early and was in my blind at about 3:15. For some reason it is unusually hot here, must of been close to 90 today. I did have a nice breeze blowing through my blind though. for the first 3 1/2 hours I managed to see a mouse who came into my blind and left quickly when I raised my foot to step on him. A rabbit that came into the bait and cleaned up some crumbs. And a pesky, noisy, unwanted squirrel who I was really debating using my 7mm mag on. I was kicked back in the blind and had just looked at my watch which said 6:58 and all of a sudden there was a bear in front of the bait, just like a ghost!! first thing I looked at was the nose and could of sworn this was a male, nose is so black. So shouldered the gun which was on steady stix and laced it. it looked like it was going down but managed to trot off. I waited for the "death" moan and heard nothing. Got a little worried then! I got out of the blind and looked over to the left where she had run and there was anther bear leaning against a tree. seemed really tall and I honestly thought it was my bear. I shouldered the gun but it ran off, then there was another one about 20ft in a tree. then it dawned on my they were with here but they were not the little fellas I have in all the pictures. they were over a year old and probably 50-70lbs, which brought a sigh of relief to me as I don't want to deprive those little fellas of their mother. All in all, this is a nice looking bear and has a great coat. It dressed at 148lbs and my oldest boy can't wait to cut it up tommorrow, partly because he thinks I am going to give him a knife. Pretty sure mom will be keeping an eye out for that.

God Bless.

2 Donít copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Godís will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.