Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

A fathers influence
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 AM
Moderator at Large

davidlt89 has disabled reputation
Default A fathers influence

I was just thinking last night about some of the stories I have read and pics I have seen on here of fathers taking thier sons hunting. After a little thought, I was just wondering how much influence do we have on these little fellows, then I got to thinking about my dad. When I was around 6 or 7 my dad bought a second hand deer rifle. He put a weaver scope on it and called it his deer rifle. Now I always new the gun was a .30-06, but I always thought it was a remington. when I was old enough to hunt he first bought me a marlin .22 mag. The next year he got me a winchester model 94AE and I ended up shooting two deer before I graduated highschool and went off to the navy. When I got out of the navy I decided to go with a bigger gun. Now keep in mind, I knew nothing about rifles, in fact, the only reason I know anything about rifles now is because of this forum, I was pretty much rifle and ammo illiterate. Anyway, here I am, 23 years old wondering what I should by myself for a rifle when I remember my dad has a remington. So what do I do, I buy a remington 700 ADL. after that, remington became my preferred rifle of choice, all because my dad had one. This past christmas when I was there I went to the gun cabinet and pulled out a 30-40 krag that my gramps had given him and when I put it back I took out the old 30-06. I kept thinking that I should take it home since my father hasn't hunted in a long time and I got to reading the barell and got a big surprise. For 29-30 years I believed that rifle to be a remington, I based my purchase and made it my personal preference because my dad owned it. As I read down the barell expecting to see remington 700 I got a big surprise, instead of rem 700, it said winchester model 70. That will show you how much I know about guns. My point is, I made something my personal preference due to the fact I thought it was what my dad had. Funny thing is, if I would of know that from the git go, I would probably have a winchester model 70 downstairs instead of a remington XCR. Has anyone else noticed this kind of influence that thier dad has had on them? God Bless.

2 Donít copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Godís will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.