Go Back   The Hunter's Life > GENERAL INTEREST FORUMS > THE CAMPFIRE

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Haven't been around of late...update
Old 01-19-2011, 04:23 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Daryl (deceased) will become famous soon enoughDaryl (deceased) will become famous soon enough
Default Haven't been around of late...update

Hey fellas, I guess it's been a while. I've been busy with my own battles, I guess, and really haven't felt much like posting.

Some of you should remember back in early November, I went in to have part of a lymph node removed from under my jaw. After the surgery, the surgeon was fairly positive that it was harmless.

The lab report disagreed. Seems I have a very agressive form of lymphoma (sp?).

Those of you that have been 'round here a while may remember back around May 7, 2002, I had a kidney transplant. I've been diabetic since I was 6 years old, and it's taken it's toll on this old body. Well, this cancer is caused by the meds I have to take to keep the kidney from rejecting, which causes a few more issues.

Like how to keep it from coming back.

Make no mistake about it, I stop for almost nothing, but a body needs certain things to keep going. I've been re-built a few times, and no regrets. I've lived a very hard life at times, but also a very good life.

So, here's the dope...

I'm now back in Az for at least the foreseeable future, and I'm taking chemo treatments at UMC (yeah, the same outfit where Gabby Giffords is being treated. Believe me, I know from experience that she's in good hands).

I had about 5 or 6 lumps under my jaw that continued to grow after the surgery. After the first chemo treatment, they were all gone except for one very small place about the size of a small pea. Affer the second treatment, that one was gone, too.

It didn't get into my bones or bone marrow, so that's good. There were a few other places around my body that had some swelling that was found in scans. Near as I can tell, those are gone too. Still have 4 or so treatments to go; and fellas? Trust me that Chemo is no rodeo I'd willingly put on anyone, but it's saving my life. Very literally.

I've been through rougher'n this, but it's been a while.

So, the idea is to get rid of the cancer, which seems to be happening at a very rapid rate. So far, so good.

Once that's done, my doc's will have to cut my meds back pretty heavily while watching for signs of rejection in the kidney. The transplanted kidney is well matched to my body, so it should work out ok. After 8 years, it's still workiing at 100% according to the lab work. Considering that the chemo is toxic to the kidney, that's pretty miraculous in and of itself.

This'n's a tough row to hoe, mi amigos, but I'm not quite ready to give up this hard earned life I have and enjoy. Prayers are welcomed, and appreciated.

I've had a blessing by the elders of my church, them having annointed me with oil as called for in the Bible. I was assured that this will not take my life, and I have a very comfortable feeling about being able to pull through it, and move on with my life. God never told us life would be easy; trials and tribulations are a part of it, and how we handle them can determine who we become as a result.

I'll try to check in more often, but please forgive me if I'm a little slow at it. Some days are good, and on those my wife and I like to get out of the house for a while. On bad days, well, I don't usually feel like doing much at all. It isn't the cancer that makes me feel bad, it's the chemo that's needed to get rid of it. Nothing like being between a rock and a hard place, huh?

Y'all take care, and I'll be back.

Daryl

RIP Linden33