Here it is

Started by Jamie.270, October 22, 2009, 12:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie.270

My Remington M721.
According to the serial number and barrel date code (E SS), it was mfr 10/1947.  The early ones, like this one, had the serial number inside the receiver in the left lug raceway.  The bore is bright and shiny.  It was sold to the shop by a widow who said her hubby only shot it during deer/elk season.
I have to believe this was the "premium wood" option on the stock.  From what I understand, they didn't offer checkering in these early models. Except for one medium sized scratch near the top of the wrist, it's in really nice shape.  I think the Redfield peep is probably of the same vintage, but I don't know if that's a Remington option.  I doubt it.

Oh, and it wasn't quite as inexpensive as I thought, but for this gun, I feel I still got a bargain.  I wish I had the original blade rear sight though.  Oh well, it is older than I am, and I don't have all of my original parts either!!

Time to go to work with some #0000S/W, a soft cloth, a little RemOil and a little elbow grease!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

sakorick

Save the welded patch over the SN ....it's sensational.....I'm speachless.:biggthumpup: :biggthumpup: :biggthumpup:  Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Jamie.270

My "paper-patch" weld? ;)
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

Jorge in Oz

Nice rifle Jamie, I love the tiger stripe on the wood. I do like the old Rem models like the  30's and 721s & 722s (is that acorrects?).

Cheers

Jorge
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Daryl (deceased)

Very nice, Jamie!  Congrat's on a great find.

They just don't make 'em like that any more.

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

22hornet

Thats a great looking rifle and great timber stock too! :biggthumpup:
You have a model of rifle thats only going to get rarer and rarer. Look after it....but use it well too.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;98678My "paper-patch" weld? ;)

UI've often wondered why people "hide" the SN on their rifles. I for one want not only the ATF, but all my friends to know them if they bother..........think about it. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Very nice Jamie! The wood is reminiscent of a stock I have on an over-the-counter Ruger M77.

As for hiding serial numbers and such, I don't bother. In fact, the more pictures you post of your firearms, the easier it will be to ID them if it becomes necessary. Scratches, dings, dents, etc are all part of that piece's 'fingerprint'. By the same token, posting pictures of all of one's arsenal then posting pictures of your house with address and instructions on how to get there is asking for the mentally retarded to come and break in "where all the guns are". I don't remember to whom it is attributed, but some gangster was once asked by some 'bright' reporter, "Why do you rob banks?" The gangster's reply was, "Because that's where the money is."

Lemme guess... It's chambered in .270 Win... ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jamie.270

I wonder about the "hide the number" stuff too.  But, it seems to be pretty common practice on the web.  Lemme get my tin-foil hat. ;)
No, actually it's an '06!  My first in many years, since my DCM days.  Not that I have anything against the '06, its just that with a .270, does one really need an '06 in Oregon?  Elk and black bear are the biggest stuff we have 'round here, and often flatter is better.  This thing handles and swings great, so maybe for western OR blacktail, or coastal elk.
Having a peep sight takes me back to the match days too, but neither the 03 nor my Garand had the gold dot front blade. ;)
I am wondering if one should use a "6 o-clock" hold like you do with the military stuff, or put the gold dot on the bull.  I suppose I could adjust it for either.
There is so much drop in the stock (heel and comb) that it's really not scope friendly, so I'm afraid the peep will stay if I keep it.(in this stock)
The fit and finish is sure nice.  I have to admit, more craftsmanship went into this rifle than my M700.  When I pulled it out of the stock, the contact points are larger and more uniform than with my M700.  Of course they've had 60 years to settle in.

sakorick

Quote from: Jamie.270;98694Not that I have anything against the '06, its just that with a .270, does one really need an '06 in Oregon?  Elk and black bear are the biggest stuff we have 'round here, and often flatter is better.  

I agree with flatter is better but when you compare a 130 gr 270 with a 150 gr '06 you find the E and the end of 300 yards greatly favors the '06 with a tiny difference in drop. I have nothing at all against a 270 as it's a fine cartridge, however with the modern powder and bullets we have now, the '06 is a far superior cartridge when compared to the 270......... sorry Jack, your numbers just don't work anymore. Jamie, IMHO you are going to love the rifle and it's performance on big game. Regards, Rick.

Jamie.270

How hot are you loading your 150gr '06 Rick?
I can get 3020fps out of my .270 w/150 gr SSTs. nearly 3200 out of 130s.

22hornet

Quote from: sakorick;98695I agree with flatter is better but when you compare a 130 gr 270 with a 150 gr '06 you find the E and the end of 300 yards greatly favors the '06 with a tiny difference in drop.

Or why don't you just load a 125gn Ballistic tip in the '06?
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Rem725

This is now entered as the second oldest on our list at
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=410
Thank you

I am guessing you are near Salem.  I have a proper rear sight piece if you want.  Take care of that fine old rifle and the sight is yours.  This forum's contact features should work.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Pistol High Expert (still :undecided:)
NRA Endowed member

Jamie.270

Quote from: sakorick;98695I agree with flatter is better but when you compare a 130 gr 270 with a 150 gr '06 you find the E and the end of 300 yards greatly favors the '06 with a tiny difference in drop.
Regards, Rick.
According to my calculations, using 150gr Hornady SSTs in both rifles for instance:
.270,  150gr, .525 BC,  2950fps arrives at 300yds with 2437fps V and 1979lb/ft of E.
.30-06,150gr, .415 BC, 3050fps arrives at 300yds with 2397fps V and 1914lb/ft of E.
They both arrive 3.5" low when zeroed at 250.

Not enough to worry about, both are killers, but the .270 has a slight advantage on paper.

You can have that 100fps at the muzzle.  I'll take the BC and SD the .270 offers at 250 and beyond.  That's why I like the '06 slightly better on the west side where longer shots are not the norm.

Daryl (deceased)

Well, some thoughts on serial numbers getting into the wrong hands...

Once upon a time, my dad and I thought it's be a good idea to record the SN's of all of our firearms on each of our respective computers.  That way if someone stole the firearms AND the computer at the same house, we'd still have the SN's.

Then one sorry day, dad passed away, but not before marrying a miserable woman with evil intent.  To make it simple, she wanted me arrested, and I believe if I HAD been arrested I'd be dead now.  She tried at least 3 times to get it done, but never did.

That aside, she got the SN of one of my handguns and reported it stolen, and conveniently told the cops where they could find it.  

After kicking in my door, and taking my firearm, I was finally able to prove it was mine, and got it back a few weeks later.

She has never been charged over it, and that was  2 1/2 years ago.

So, I'm sort of protective of the SN's on my firearms these days.  I think there are better ways of recording them than posting them on the 'net, and no one else really has any need for them.  Rather than "blotting" them, I just avoid them with the camera if at all possible.

A voice of hard lessons learned...

Daryl
A government that abrogates any of the Bill of Rights, with or without majoritarian approval, forever acts illegitimately, becomes tyrannical, and loses the moral right to govern-Jeffrey Snyder

RIP Linden33

Tags: