mossberg 100 ATR

Started by davidlt89, January 30, 2009, 06:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

does anyone here own a mossberg 100 ATR? Highly considering getting one in .243 and was wondering if anyone had experience with them or has heard from someone else who has one. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

22hornet

My uncle has a Mossberg in .243. He bought it because it was going very cheap when a gunshop closed down. He uses it all the time and hasn't let him down.
It is as accurate as any .243 is. Shoots tiny groups without any modifications. My only real concerns are the plastic trigger guard, which is moulded with the stock. It is quite thin and I think it might not last if it takes a decent knock. And the blueing seemed to be poorly done. I could rub it off with my finger and abit of pressure.

But the rifle is a cheap, accurate, (very accurate), servicable arm.  The prices here in OZ have really gone up and now the Mossbergs are more expensive than the Marlin XL7 bolt actions. I shot a Marlin in 25/06 at the range last week and I was very impressed with what you get for the money. I'm not sure what the Marlins are going for in the US but its worth a look. You can get then in .243 now too. It a much better rifle for the money.
But if the Mossbergs are cheaper its worth getting.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

buffalo bob

havent seen atr100.  saw and read a review on mossberg 4x4 rifle.  review was in shooting times i think.  stated it was the most accurate out of the box rifle he had ever shot.  also it was very reliable.  mossberg shotguns have always been excellent quality in my opinion.

davidlt89

QuoteI'm not sure what the Marlins are going for in the US but its worth a look.
I believe anywhere from 320.00-350.00, as far as I know the mossbergs are still cheaper.
QuoteYou can get then in .243 now too.
I did not know this. I gave the XL7 a good look but wanted a .243. this could change things!
QuoteAnd the blueing seemed to be poorly done.
Bought a remington 700 ADL from k-mart in the early 90's, had the same problem but was also an accuarate gun. I can live with it for as much as I will use it!
Quotemossberg shotguns have always been excellent quality in my opinion.
[/SIZE]
I agree and that is why I have one! God Bless.

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

davidlt89

after further examination, it seems it is not the XL7 that will be offered in the .243, it is the new XS7 series. the XS7 will be offered in 243 Win, 7mm-08 Remington, 308 Win. God Bless.

davidlt89

QuoteI shot a Marlin in 25/06
you got me thinking how nice this round is also!!!!! My plan is to get a caliber I can shoot varmints with, but the boys can use when they reach legal hunting age to tide them over until they can get something bigger. wanted something with "less recoil", but would be able to kill a whitetail. .243's are very commonly used on whitetails up here. Heck, a few moose have been taken down with them. I am not too familiar with the 25-06 though. I like the what the ballistics say though. seems like it is a flat shooting gun? how is the recoil compared to a .243? God Bless.

gitano

Let's not start a "discussion" (AKA arguement) about recoil.

Let's all acknowledge up front that there is a great deal of subjectivity to recoil. So, for comparison's sake, lets say the two rifles are EXACTLY THE SAME in ALL WAYS except chambering. One in .25-06 and one in .243 Win.

The '06-based cartridge shooting an 85-grain bullet at 85% of max chamber pressure out of an 8-lb gun will have one measure of recoil at 9.44 ft-lbs.

The SAME gun chambered in .243 Win also shooting an 85-grain bullet at 85% of max chamber pressure will have 6.94 ft-lbs of "recoil".

As a "ruler", the SAME 8-lb gun chambered in .30-06 and shooting a 180-grain bullet will have 23.47 ft-lbs of "recoil".

The source of these numbers is QuickLoad.

Paul

PS - Look for yourselves and choose the metric you like...
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

Paul, my answer to the recoil question was going to be along the lines of, "abit more than the .243 but not enough the worry about", but your answer is more "correct", I guess.:D
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

I don't think my aswer was more "correct" - just more objective. My subjective response would be, and is, the same as yours.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Good information gentlemen!!! I will probably stick with the .243 since my son will be 10 when he first uses it. just need to decide which rifle now! God Bless.

Tags: