For all you MkIII Enfield fans

Started by sakorick, December 11, 2008, 08:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I call this LSA (London Small Arms) the "workhorse".What a neat old rifle. Very undistuingished save the most important part......the bore is pristeen. I'll have a range report soon. I believe this is Brithunter's favorite model and once you get your hands wrapped around one you will see why. They look clumsy but looks can be very deceiving. :D Regards, Rick.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Brithunter

Hi Sakorick,

I would not quite say it's my favorite as I like the Lee Mk1 and Lee Metford as well. It's the No4 that I don't find as nice nor as comfortable to handle. These earlier Lee's have lovely rounded profiles and not the flat angles of the later models.

The barrel has likely been replaced as has the forestock as it appears it's beech and not walnut. A 1917 rifle I would expect to see walnut however I am no expert on these. Nice find :biggthumpup: .
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;87332Hi Sakorick,

I would not quite say it's my favorite as I like the Lee Mk1 and Lee Metford as well. It's the No4 that I don't find as nice nor as comfortable to handle. These earlier Lee's have lovely rounded profiles and not the flat angles of the later models.

The barrel has likely been replaced as has the forestock as it appears it's beech and not walnut. A 1917 rifle I would expect to see walnut however I am no expert on these. Nice find :biggthumpup: .

It looks like she got a makeover at EFD prior to WWII....I think 1937. Check out the pic of the left side of the wrist band. My guess would be a EFT rebuild 1937 which explains the Beech stock. I wonder if the barrel is original? Hummmmmm, find out tomorrow.! This is going to be one very accurate Milsurp IMHO. Regards, Rick.

22hornet

Nice pick up Rick. I'm quite fond of the SMLE being from a Commwealth nation. The SMLE's served Australia into the Korean conflict.

What info is printed on the stock disk? You might be able to track the unit the rifle was issued to and the rifles possible battle honours.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;87343Nice pick up Rick. I'm quite fond of the SMLE being from a Commwealth nation. The SMLE's served Australia into the Korean conflict.

What info is printed on the stock disk? You might be able to track the unit the rifle was issued to and the rifles possible battle honours.

Unfortunately the disc is not marked.....but the buttstock is aft of the grip. The soldier made 3 groves in the wood....pics to follow..... I wonder???? I love these old rifles as they just reek with history. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hmmm normally there is a FTR or repair mark and not just as "year" that 37 might not be a year but and inspectors number. I need to break out my copy of "The Broad Arrow" and see what the repair marks were like as I cannot remember off hand. The FTR is easy as that a Factory Thorough Repair which brought the rifle up to new standards, a complete re-build, not like the unit armourers repairs. They had their own stamps to mark their work.

Question............. does it still have tha magazine cut off? I cannot see the * after the 111 on the butt socket.
Go Get them Floyd!

sakorick

Quote from: Brithunter;87367Hmmm normally there is a FTR or repair mark and not just as "year" that 37 might not be a year but and inspectors number. I need to break out my copy of "The Broad Arrow" and see what the repair marks were like as I cannot remember off hand. The FTR is easy as that a Factory Thorough Repair which brought the rifle up to new standards, a complete re-build, not like the unit armourers repairs. They had their own stamps to mark their work.

Question............. does it still have tha magazine cut off? I cannot see the * after the 111 on the butt socket.

I think you are right, BH. The FTR could have been done at the Royal Small Arms Factory. I need to do some more research....no Magazine cut off so it definately went through some sort of overhaul. Regards, Rick.

sakorick

More info gleaned from the Enfield forum. EFD is the RSAF at Enfield. The '37 on the buttsocket is a date, that and the Enfield inspector's stamp (crown/number/E) gives it away as an inspection, and/or rework at the RSAF, or at least under it's auspices in 1937. LSA inspection stamps have an 'X' in place of the 'E'.

LSA typically didn't date their barrels, so if you find LSA inspection marks on the barrel and no date, it'll be a pretty good indication of an original barrel...LSA was gone by '37.

Mystery solved. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

recoil junky

That's a nice piece for sure Rick. I like old military rifles anyway. All those dings and bumps in the stock add character.  If it could only talk I'd bet it would have a good story to tell.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

sakorick

Quote from: recoil junky;87397That's a nice piece for sure Rick. I like old military rifles anyway. All those dings and bumps in the stock add character. If it could only talk I'd bet it would have a good story to tell.

RJ

Right on RJ......I am obsessed with these rifles. They are, in their own way, just sensational! I can't wait to shoot this thing!!! Regards, Rick.

22hornet

Quote from: sakorick;87381More info gleaned from the Enfield forum. EFD is the RSAF at Enfield. The '37 on the buttsocket is a date, that and the Enfield inspector's stamp (crown/number/E) gives it away as an inspection, and/or rework at the RSAF, or at least under it's auspices in 1937. LSA inspection stamps have an 'X' in place of the 'E'.

LSA typically didn't date their barrels, so if you find LSA inspection marks on the barrel and no date, it'll be a pretty good indication of an original barrel...LSA was gone by '37.

Mystery solved. :biggthumpup: Regards, Rick.

But what about the stock disk? I though they were deleted years before your rifle was made, but maybe I am wrong.
Just curious thats all.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

sakorick

Quote from: 22hornet;87517But what about the stock disk? I though they were deleted years before your rifle was made, but maybe I am wrong.
Just curious thats all.

Hello Hornet. To the best of my knowledge, all Mk III Enfields built during WWI had the stock dics. My rifle was originally built in 1917. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Quote from: recoil junky;87397If it could only talk I'd bet it would have a good story to tell.

RJ

I'm not sure I want to hear those stories...

It is my understanding that many German soldiers took an empty case and cut a circle in the stock, (using the mouth of the case), for every enemy soldier they killed. I've got two k98s that have those marks.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but... Those two rifles, with those stocks, are a grim reminder that all the 'rah rah' about a given action (Mauser, Enfield, Browning, etc.), and the talk of "This one is best", "No this one is", conveniently side-steps the designed purpose of those weapons, and the price paid by those that used them for their designed purpose. I'm very ambivalent about those particular rifles.

All the same, another nice rifle, Rick.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;87538I'm not sure I want to hear those stories...

It is my understanding that many German soldiers took an empty case and cut a circle in the stock, (using the mouth of the case), for every enemy soldier they killed. I've got two k98s that have those marks.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people, but... Those two rifles, with those stocks, are a grim reminder that all the 'rah rah' about a given action (Mauser, Enfield, Browning, etc.), and the talk of "This one is best", "No this one is", conveniently side-steps the designed purpose of those weapons, and the price paid by those that used them for their designed purpose. I'm very ambivalent about those particular rifles.

All the same, another nice rifle, Rick.

Paul

I harbor the same feelings as I have positive and negative feelings towards all Milsurps. That said, they are a part of history and as such my leaning is towards the positive side. I feel these rifles need to be preserved and passed on. They are grim reminders of the horrors of war but timekeepers nonetheless. And the bonus is the rapid technology in firearms they spawned. We can only learn from the past and the positive things we shooters and hunters enjoy. Paul, you are a deep thinker and I respect your experience and wisdom more than you will ever know. Regards, Rick.

Tags: