Serengeti Plains Firearm?

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), April 28, 2008, 06:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

I've noticed that, for the same quality, you pay almost twice the price for a double rifle over a Drilling.  With that in mind, I went searching.

I found a Sauer in 12x12 over 8x57 JR.  I've made contact with the lady and gentleman who own the firearm and will visit them as soon as I can get away.  It is not enough for dangerous game but might just work out for what I have in mind.

It is a true sidelock, has a 'flip up' rear sight and a cartridge trap.  If it 'feels' the way it looks, I might just take the plunge.  The seller is not too far distant from me that I cannot spend a day going over and coming back.

I think of it as time well spent, a chance for something different and a way to hunt both grouse and deer/elk at the same time.  My love regards it as an excellent opportunity to look at more beautiful country side and a guaranteed lunch.  If I do purchase this firearm... she isn't going to settle for a tuna sandwich.

Paul Hoskins

Good luck Jay. Sure is a nice looking outfit. Years ago a friend that owned a gunshop traded two S&W handguns for a drilling that looked a lot like that. It was a beautiful old gun. The owner was J.H. Day of Day Machine Tool Co. and he said he had it made in Belgium back in the early thirties. He could certainly afford it. Best I remember it was sixteens over the 8X57 rimmed. Mr. day was in his late 70's then. His wife looked to be in her mid thirties. I don't know which I liked the looks of best, his wife or the gun. ..............Paul H

grayghost

Jay, all you have to say is "double rifle" and the price quadruples. I recently saw a Peter Hofer double that lists for $1.6 MILLION! Just a run of the mill, plain jane Heym PH model is over $8 K. Nothing wrong with a Heym, and it will kill the largest Elephant in the world just as dead as a bolt action CZ 550 in .375H&H. Nice gun, hope you get it. grayghost
In the end....the Hunter hunts himself

Paul Hoskins

Jay, I saw a H&H  "India Royal" de luxe double rifle in .465 caliber listed for $1400 but it was in the 1939 Stoeger catalog. A Rigby "Best Quality" double in 470 NE was $1080.    ...........Paul H

Tags: