on to the ice

Started by Hunterbug, January 21, 2008, 10:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Saturday morning Mountain Mafia and I got together to do a little ice fishing. I got to his house about 0700 and we threw everything into his truck for the short drive to Bear Creek lake. Whe we got there the gate still wasn't open so we had to wait a bit. Finally the guy got there and let us in. Mountain Mafia back the truck up to the boat ramp and we unloaded the sleds with the equipment. He told me where to go and I headed off with the sleds while he parked the truck. He cought up to me and we got to the spot and got out the ice auger. Here's MM drilling holes.

Ice fishing isn't my gig so I just watched him and learned. I swear that he dropped the first line right into the fished mouth because we got a bite right away and landed a pan sized rainbow. We didn't catch fish fast  but it was steady enough to keep things interesting. I was hoping for a walleye or small mouth bass but it wasn't to be. We did get 6 rainbows in all. I kept 4 and gave 2 to my grandparents. We ate our 4 baked for dinner and they were good. Here's a few more pictures.

Me enjoying a cup of hot coffee.

Come on, take it just a little more!

A nice rainbow.

And a coyote that we saw on out way out.

All in all I had a great time. I don't know if we'll get back out agian this year but I would deffinately love to do it again.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

RatherBHuntin

Cool pictures.  It sure looks cold out there on that big ice cube, though I guess it didn't matter where you live or what you were doing this weekend, it was cold.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Antler3

Great pictures and sounds like a good time. Glad you enjoyed the rainbows for dinner, bet they were good !
ANTLER 3

Gunslingergirl

Sure looks like fun.  We have had cold enough weather here that we have good ice.  If I could just get over this darn respiratory infection I've had, maybe I could go freeze my toes off for a few hours.
We still do not know one-thousandth of one percent
of what nature has revealed to us.
Albert Einstein

davidlt89

It seems funny that you guys were actually using poles to fish with. Not that it is funny, just not what we are used too up here. we have "traps" that when set in the hole have a flag that pops up when the fish takes the bait. Can't really use a pole because most lakes allow us five traps. We do jig for smelts, love to eat those little fellas. usually don't have to debone them. cut the heads off and cook and slam'em down. Yes, this weekend was cold indeed. God Bless.
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

bowhunter 51

Nice hat H'bug.....Looks like you guys had a good time of it, sitting in
the sunshine, and had several holes a fishing thru....Looks like ya'll had
a fish finder rig'd up over there, coffee, and catching fish too...
Excellent......That's what it's all about!....................................BH51................
**********God Bless America**********
>>>>-----------Live to Hunt--------------->>
>>>>-----There is no off season--------->>

nsk

Tags: