Big 51, .338 WM, .338 MAI, & 7x57 Range Report

Started by gitano, September 07, 2006, 12:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Personally, I would be loathe to 'download'.

Does your front sight extend up to a knife-edge? If not, if it is flat on top, maybe it has been modified. If so, I'd not hesitate to replace it or modify it to raise the point of impact.

I forget, are you loading Hornady 205s?

This is certainly odd to me. The three m-95s I have shot all shot essentially to the point of aim when using the lower rear "V".

As far as modifying the front sight, I would cut off or file the blade down to near the base. I would then drill an appropriately-sized hole for a pin. I would then glue or solder a roller bearing or a drift pin into the hole. I'd shoot a few rounds to determine how high or low I was. If still high, I'd install a longer pin. If low, I'd file off a little bit at a time until I was at the 100 yd elevation I wanted. Of course, you wanna be sure not to drill through the post base into the sight base, and especially not further into the bbl.

Wierd.

Paul

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... you could just mount a 'scope.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

You still haven't let us hear all the non-gory details of the Moose hunt.
How long has this dry spell been for you?
The last thing I remember you catching was frostbite.
If you come back down this way, you could get squirrel and rabbit in my yard.
You might try Florida, the deer season there is 2 months and the limit is 2 bucks a day.
A friend got a deal last year in S.D., a guided hunt in a State Park, cow for $500 or cull bull Bison for $800, he got a cull bull and was very pleased.
This is arrainged through the wildlife and parks people, some sort of drawing, but he got a permit first try.
Whacked a 1200lb bull with a spaghetti Sharps, .45-70 at about 90 yds.;)
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

I'll post some pictures of the camping trip in a separate thread. As far as how long has the dry spell been, too long... way too long. It's becoming the norm in Alaska for lots of folks I know. Squirrel and rabbit hunting in 'your yard' sounds good to me, and we may be down sooner than you think. Rice is moving to the 'short list' of colleges Erin is considering. The SD bison hunt sounds like it's worth looking into. Maybe by next year I'll have the Big 51 ready ;)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Paul....here is a picture of the front sight. Rick
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Boy! That looks just like all of mine. I don't know why yours should be shooting so high. Oh yeah... are you shooting the Hornady 205s?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitanoBoy! That looks just like all of mine. I don't know why yours should be shooting so high. Oh yeah... are you shooting the Hornady 205s?

Paul

Yep....Hornady 205's. I also have some Buffalo Arms 175's but it stands to reason they would shoot even higher!
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: