Newest family member

Started by sakorick, May 13, 2006, 05:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Wow!!! Ever heard of a Sako M74 Super? I hadn't until I just bought one. It seems Garcia was getting slammed fot cheapening up the older rifles so in 1974/75 they came out with a Super. The only one I have ever seen, I now own. At first, I thought it was just another Garcia rifle.....upon further review, wrong. The wood is an upgrade, the checkering is an upgrade and the bolt was redesigned with the old style checkered ramps. I took pic 4 with my son's bolt on the right and the super bolt on the left. Note the metal work. They also upgraded the bolt to the more modern version with the release pin....kind of a shroud lock found on the old Mausers which is handily repositioned. The bolt is also bent ala Winchester/Ruger slightly rearward.

This, to me, is an incredible find. These things must be very rare as I look at every Sako at every gun show I attend and scour the gun boards at least weekly and have never come across one. Of course....Paul, grin and bear it, it's an '06. My favorite rifle in my favorite caliber. I am really pumped and tickles me to tears.

Here are the pics....enjoy some history....OBTW it came NIB. I think the only time the bolt was in it was at the factory. A proud new father I am....I'll have to email Eric and Ann-Marie and tell them they have a new sister.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

Here are theother 2 Pics....

buckshot roberts

:D" WOW" that is a good looking rifle, your lucky an congrats on the find, when in germany, years ago, some of the guys had the so called "fin" models at the rod & gun club, we just dont see any kind of sako's around here, she is a nice rifle, I'd try an e-mail them about it,;) Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sakorick

Quote from: buckshot roberts:D" WOW" that is a good looking rifle, your lucky an congrats on the find, when in germany, years ago, some of the guys had the so called "fin" models at the rod & gun club, we just dont see any kind of sako's around here, she is a nice rifle, I'd try an e-mail them about it,;) Ron

The "fin" was short for Finnbear. They made a Vixon, short action, a Forester med action and a Finnbear long action. They also made a lever action rifle they named Finnwolf.  

Thanks for the accolades. Regards, Rick.

gitano

Congratulations Rick! It's nice to stumble into those finds that are special for the finder. That is a fine looking rifle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

hunter76

looks like a great find let us know how it shoots and if you email the manufacturer about it let us know what you find out

buckshot roberts

Rick yes do let us know how she shoots, on that finnwolf, Now dose it look similar to the winchester model 88, I may have seen one at a gun show, Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

sakorick

Quote from: buckshot robertsRick yes do let us know how she shoots, on that finnwolf, Now dose it look similar to the winchester model 88, I may have seen one at a gun show, Ron

Yes, it looked alot like the Mod88 Winchester. Regards, Rick.

Brithunter

Hmmm well as far as I am aware we had the :-

Forestor
Hunter
Vixen

As models here in the UK plus of course the Finfire which is the .22 Rimfire version or was rather as it's been dropped from the line. A friend who sadly is no longer with us (died of stomach cancer) used a pair of Sakos', one a .270 win and the other a 22-250.

I do believe that I have showed tis picture before but here it is again :-

On the right is my BSA CF2 7x57 :D  Now I alway find the cheeckpiece on the Sakos' a bit abrut for my liking prefering the rounded shape like the one on the BSA.

A prototype L61 sako in .300Win Mag with Stoegers name on the barrel.

Steve brought this new and has had it for many years now and finds it likes the 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets. Oh no Rick,   I do not believe he is parting with it :p
Go Get them Floyd!

M1Garand

Nice find Rick, are you actually going to shoot it ;) ?  I looked in my blue book of gun values to see if they said anything else about it and all it said was Model 74 - various calibers and the listed their values.

sakorick

Quote from: M1GarandNice find Rick, are you actually going to shoot it ;) ? I looked in my blue book of gun values to see if they said anything else about it and all it said was Model 74 - various calibers and the listed their values.

Hello M1...I'm suprised they even mentioned it. What did they say a new one was worth? No, I don't plan on shooting it. A 31 year old rifle NIB probably should stay that way. Besides, I would have to mount a scope on it, break it in, develope loads, etc etc. I am working on a 6.5x'06 Ackley that I plan on hunting with this year if all goes as planned. Historically, the Blue book has done a rather poor job on European rifles....I quit looking at it years ago. Regards, Rick.

sakorick

Quote from: BrithunterHmmm well as far as I am aware we had the :-

Forestor
Hunter
Vixen

As models here in the UK plus of course the Finfire which is the .22 Rimfire version or was rather as it's been dropped from the line. A friend who sadly is no longer with us (died of stomach cancer) used a pair of Sakos', one a .270 win and the other a 22-250.

I do believe that I have showed tis picture before but here it is again :-

On the right is my BSA CF2 7x57 :D Now I alway find the cheeckpiece on the Sakos' a bit abrut for my liking prefering the rounded shape like the one on the BSA.

A prototype L61 sako in .300Win Mag with Stoegers name on the barrel.

Steve brought this new and has had it for many years now and finds it likes the 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip bullets. Oh no Rick, I do not believe he is parting with it :p

Hello Brithunter. I talked to the Sierra techies the other day and their bullet of choice for both the 300 Win Mag and the 300 Wby is the 180 (for hunting big game). I'm going to get around to shooting mine soon. I put a new scope on it and want to sight in in as a back-up. It has a break on it, so it 's bark is alot worse that it's bite!:D Regards, Rick.

M1Garand

Quote from: sakorickHello M1...I'm suprised they even mentioned it. What did they say a new one was worth?.... Historically, the Blue book has done a rather poor job on European rifles....I quit looking at it years ago. Regards, Rick.

You're right there...if this is the correct one, it lists one in 100% at $650. I saw similar results when I was looking at some Winchester & Browning M71's in 348 Win on gunsamerica and gunbroker. They were going for much more than the blue book had them valued. Again, great find, just try not to rub the finish off as you cradle it while watching TV:D .

Brithunter

Hi Rick,

Yeah Syeve was worried that the Nosler Ballistic Tip might be a little fragile but after talking to the Nosler techies he went with it. had not much choice really as it's the only load he had worked up years ago and he needed to use this rifle after his usual hunting rifle started playing up. Shot fine at 100 yards but became inconsistant at 300 yards whenhe checked it so.................. Nosler said they built the 180 BT tougher as they Knew that folks would use it on tougher game like Elk. His shot came at a 10 Point Buck at about 70 yards, the bullet entered the right front shoulder and took out the top of the heart before breaking the left fore leg on exit, the Buck still ran off and we found it piled up in the shrub at the fields edge about 25 yards away. I always wondered how that Buck managed to walk let alone run with both front legs out of action!!!!!!!

A good cull as the Buck was a strange looking beast.

with a uneven set of antlers.
Go Get them Floyd!

Tags: