As I Get Older

Started by dawei, March 01, 2006, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawei

As I get older (will be 56 in 6 weeks), the hills steeper, & the miles longer; I use a 20ga; and a Mossberg® by choice for several reasons:
• I got tired of the heavy weight of a 12ga & the heavy recoil of the same. The 20ga is about 1½ lbs lighter & the recoil significantly less.
• While I'm right-handed, I'm left eye dominant & thus shoot a long gun left handed. The ambidextrous top-tang safety was a big plus for me. Additionally the Winchester® & Remington® guns only have a 2 year warranty & the Mossberg® has a 10 year warranty.
• Remington® guns require Remington® chokes. Within gauge however Browning Invector®, Mossberg®, SKB®, Savage®, Weatherby® & Winchester® chokes ARE FULLY INTERCHANGEABLE!
• A Remington® 870 Express, on sale where I Iive costs $269.99+tax & comes with one choke, no sling or swivels. Conversely for $50.00 less I got a Mossberg® with three chokes, slings, and swivels. (You get the picture).

I'm not knocking the Remington® or Winchester; it's just for me, the Mossberg® offers more for less money. The Mossberg® is not a cheap gun; it's an inexpensive gun, there's a big difference between the two. Now as to patterns & performance; chokes & ammo, this is what I have found & direction I'm heading (20ga Mossberg® specific):

Mossberg® X-FACTOR™ Extended Ported TURKEY Tubes (lead only) Models 500®, 505®
20 X-FACTOR-Ported Turkey tube .584" 95231 $36.00
Mossberg® Accu-Choke™ Tubes (Models 500®, 9200® and Maverick 88™)
20 Full .590" 95215 $15.00
20 Modified .600" 95220 $15.00
20 Imp Cylinder .610" 95225 $15.00
20 X-Full .585" 95230 $15.00

Carlsons® 20 GA FLUSH MOUNT
DISC ITEM# CONST PRICE
Cyl #10107 .620 $19.99
Skeet #10101 .615 $19.99
I.C. #10102 .610 $19.99
Modified #10103 .600 $19.99
Imp.Mod. #10106 .595 $19.99
Full #10104 .590 $19.99
X-Full #10105 .585 $19.99
Turkey #10108 .575 $19.99

Hastings®SPECIAL 20 GA. EXTENDED TURKEY CHOKES FOR LEAD SHOT ONLY (wrench included)
Stock No. Description Price
I20562 20 ga. Chokes .562" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20566 20 ga. Chokes .566" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20570 20 ga. Chokes .570" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20574 20 ga. Chokes .574" Parallel Diameter $29.99
I20578 20 ga. Chokes .578" Parallel Diameter $29.99

The tubes shown in red are the ones that I have. All are rated for Hevi•Shot® with the exception of the Carlsons®. My son & I have experimented with many load & choke combinations (his gun is a Winchester® 20ga pump). What we did was use the same, exact, choke tube in my Mossberg® and his Winchester®. Clearly understand I DO NOT MEAN TWO CHOKE TUBES EXACTLY ALIKE; I MEAN WE USED THE TUBE IN MY GUN THEN PUT IT IN HIS GUN. My Mossberg® has a 26" barrel; his Winchester® a 28" barrel. We used 3" Mag Remington Hevi•Shot® 1¼oz #4, 5, & 6 shot & 3" Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #4, 5, & 6 shot. Our findings were:

• All chokes, in both guns, WOULD NOT PATTERN #4 SHOT IN A DENSE PATTERN SUITABLE FOR TURKEY HUNTING.
• The same choke & shot combination DID NOT PERFORM THE SAME IN EACH GUN. (I'll cite below)
• Conventional wisdom states that Hevi•Shot® needs a more open choke than lead shot. WE DID NOT FIND THAT TO BE TRUE.
• Hevi•Shot® doesn't always pattern "tighter" than lead.

My son's Winchester® has a definite preference for #5 shot. The absolute best load and choke combination for him was Carlsons® .575" Turkey Choke and the Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #5 copper-plated shot. My Mossberg® with any of our chokes DOES NOT pattern #5 shot as well as my son's Winchester®. My Mossberg® is at is absolute best with #6 shot and the Hastings® .570" Choke Tube. Using Hevi•Shot® or Federal lead it consistently puts 27-29 pellets in a 3" circle out to 40 yds. (With the Hevi•Shot® it's always 27 pellets! Using Federal lead shot its 28-29 pellets). My best target is before me from last year's tests. It reflects 61 pellets in the head & neck with 16 pellets in the brain & spine using Federal GrandSlam® 1 5/16oz #6. (This target DOES NOT reflect the 3" circle). I stated earlier the same choke doesn't perform the same in different guns; let me illustrate. When I shot the Federal® lead load of #5 shot with the Carlsons® tube I got 17 pellets in the 3" circle on the target. When my son used the same combination in his gun he puts 25 pellets into the 3" circle. When I use the Hastings® .570 tube & Federal #6 shot I put 29 pellets in the 3" circle. Using the same combination in his gun my son put only 11 pellets in the 3" circle. SAME CHOKES & SHOT YET THEY PATTERN FAR DIFFERENTLY. Thus you can see why my son uses the Carlsons® choke & lead 5's and I the Hastings® choke & lead 6's.

What my son & I hope to do in the next couple of weeks is try Winchester Double-X Magnum loads & see how they perform with the above chokes; (#5 & 6 shot only). Additionally I will purchase the SWARM® Tube, & see where those tests take us. If we run out of Hevi•Shot® due to our testing oh well; both of us have proven performers in the Federal Grand Slam loads.

Sorry to ramble on so much. Lastly take a look here:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3163692
David
Only two defining forces have ever died for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

RatherBHuntin

David, thats one good review with some interesting info.  Looks like I'll definately be looking at some #6 shot.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

buckshot roberts

:D Dang fine post, Thanks for posting, Yep ole moss'e offers you your moneys worth, And i have never owned one, I used a winchester model 37 in 2 3/4 for years with a ex-full ck in it, I did a post with 6 pic's, with some ck's, but they were lost when the page went down a few weeks back, I got win-super-x2 in 3 1/2, i used in the last 3 seasons, done very good with it, This last spring I used a model 59 win  in a full ck, 2 3/4  using #6 to get my last turkey with, check out this page, on some ck' pattrens   Hey keep it coming, Ron

http://www.wadwizard.com/Patterns.htm
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

dawei

Quote from: RatherBHuntinDavid, thats one good review with some interesting info. Looks like I'll definately be looking at some #6 shot.

Thanks for your kind words. Are you using a 12ga or a 20ga?
David
1. Jesus Christ

dawei

Quote from: buckshot roberts:D Dang fine post, Thanks for posting, Yep ole moss'e offers you your moneys worth, And i have never owned one, I used a winchester model 37 in 2 3/4 for years with a ex-full ck in it, I did a post with 6 pic's, with some ck's, but they were lost when the page went down a few weeks back, I got win-super-x2 in 3 1/2, i used in the last 3 seasons, done very good with it, This last spring I used a model 59 win in a full ck, 2 3/4 using #6 to get my last turkey with, check out this page, on some ck' pattrens Hey keep it coming, Ron

http://www.wadwizard.com/Patterns.htm
My son has my late father's Winchester Mdl 37 12ga, 3" with a 32" Barrel with a Extra Full Fixed Choke (.655"). When he carries that gun it brings back a flood of memories for both of us. When you know how to call like my Dad; one shot is all you need. We both miss him but now that I'm a grandfather it's still 3 generations chasing the deer, elk, & turkeys.
David
1. Jesus Christ

RatherBHuntin

I'm using a Model 500 in 12 ga and my son has an 870 in 20ga that he really likes.  Hopefully we will get some Turley hunting in this year, I haven't done that before.  The last stand I sat deer season I saw 4 toms and a jake.  Got me pretty pumped up.  

I hear ya about bang for the buck with the Mossies.  That shotgun is what I used for a couple of years for deer, rabbit, dove and ducks among others.  Out in the rain, sleet, snow, blazing sun and everything in between.  When I was in Texas, the area I hunted was shotgun only, no slugs.  The tang safety is my favorite too, my Savage 110 has it in the same place and it just seems right.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Tags: