Fixed Win Model 70

Started by RatherBHuntin, February 19, 2006, 03:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RatherBHuntin

I've modified my deer rifle somewhat. I had a Win Model 70 chambered in .270 that is my primary deer rifle, and I just wasn't that happy with it. It was too long, accuracy is minute of deer, and that's about it, and well good enough for it's purpose. I had a prime Simmons 8-Point 3-9x40 on it, that was a little less than desirable, to say the least. The black synthetic stock is as least equally as ugly as the Savage 110 black stock.

I ordered a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x50, had 2.5 inches taken off the barrell and a target crown put on and painted the stock with some brown, flat black, o.d. green and a satin clear coat. The bbl was 24" and seemed just to long. The scope has the Firefly reticle and rain guard. I used a stencil from the hobby shop for the leaves and twigs. I think it is just a touch too dark, should have used more green and brown. One more thing I may do is replace the soft rubber butt pad with something a little thinner and slicker. A half inch off the stock would help the LOP and a butt plate would let me mount the rifle much smoother without it grabbing my jacket. Still, now it's a one of a kind, fits me much better, will let me judge animals better later, has a much clearer scope and hopefull will be just a touch more accurate.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

rockinbbar

Remind yourself often to SEE not just "look".

buckshot roberts

:D Hey, RBH nice looking winchester,;)
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

Gmoney

-Greg

Personal field testing trumps everything no matter what Field and Stream says, what your degree of perceived manhood is, or what your buddies think.

M1Garand

Fine job on that rifle, I think you made a good choice dumping that Simmons and going with the Bushnell Elite, should serve you well.

RatherBHuntin

Thanks for the compliments guys.  I do like that scope, even if it is a little big.  I figure that if I want something small to stalk with instead of sitting a stand, I'll take the 30-30.  In addition to the butt plate, I need to get some Butler Creek Flip-up lens caps and get rid of those monstrous covers that came with it.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Fortunate Son

Glenn

I'm quite impressed.  Looks like a handy rig.
Mike In MS
NRA For Life
Army For 30

RatherBHuntin

Took it to the range today and got mixed results. After taking the barrel from 24" to 21.5", the same load went from 3022 fps to 2952 fps, or about 28 fps per inch. No problem at all. Unfortunately, it still throws fliers. I strongly suspect the stock is the culpret.

Three possible areas. First is the barrel channel. The inside edges of the stock touch the barrel, slightly. The front of the stock touches also, on the bottom. Just finished cleaning all that out.

Second, the stock is just plain flimsy.  Cant do anything except replace it.

Third, the action screws. The first (recoil lug) and third (rear trigger guard/action) seem to be the important ones, with the 2nd only seeming to secure the trigger guard. The 1st and 3rd create a tight fit between action and stock. The middle screw doesnt seem to create a mating surface between the bottom of the action and the top of the inside of the stock. The screw pulls on the trigger guard and middle of the action with nothing creating a tight fit. I'm worried that the screw may be too tight and create a "bow" in the action. Going to make sure it is only snugged up, shoot and tighten, repeat and see it if makes a difference.
Glenn

Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

Yo Glenn,

Seems as if the rifle really fits your concept now.  But now to solve the other problem.

I really do like Micro-Bed for barrel channels and, unlike others, I do not like to free float a hunting rifle.  If you do hollow the barrel channel out and fill it with Micro-Bed or AccraGlass, I believe that it will be as solid as you could want.

As far as that pesky middle screw is concerned... you might just make a spacer so that the screw can be snugged down.

Beyond those specific fixes, I would full length bed the entire barreled action.

Tags: