Turkey Choke's

Started by buckshot roberts, January 27, 2006, 02:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckshot roberts

Look they are a Zillion turkey chokes out, And they all say they are the best maybe so ?, I've never used them all, And I'm not try'n to sale any, make or model, I'm just try'n to show that you do not have to have a $1,200.00 turkey gun to take a bird, or a big bucks chokes, Most of the turkeys I have taken with an old model 37 single shot, with a 30'' bbl, with an ex-full ck, that I gave $100. bucks for it, Now I use a winchester super-x model 2 that I gave $800.for, I got on this 3 1/2 inch craze, Yep I got birds with it, But this past spring I took one with a 35 year old winchester model 59 2 3/4, mod,ck using number #6 game shot, I have never shot a turkey more than one time, And yes I have had my misses, I've had one make a fool out of me for one season.

It's is best that you pattern your shotgun, with the type of choke and ammo you are going to use.

The shotguns, chokes, and ammo I used were the same that I have used in the field to to take turkeys with.

The winchester super-x model 2, 3 1/2'' with the standard invector ex-full ck, 24 in bbl
The winchester model 59 2 3/4 full ck,28 in bbl
The winchester model super-x model 1 2 3/4 mod ck,30 in bbl

I set these targets at 30 yards, up off the ground about 26", and I sat on the ground back 30 yards just like in the field, and to add a little more to it I had my wife time me for 10 min, holding each shot for each shotgun.

Now with the super-x model 2, using 3 1/2 inch winchester supreme #6 shot, #1 ex-full, #2 mod, #3 cyl.

Now with the winchester model 59 in 2 3/4 using winchester supreme #6, full ck.

now with the winchester model super-x model 1 in 2 3/4 using winchester supreme #6 with a mod,ck.

" I used this type shotshell because it what I had on hand, I've used other brands in #4's and #6's, and I have even used #6 rem rabbit loads to kill a turkey with, if your shotgun can pattern with no less than 5 shot's in a turkeys head, your good, I got'n no more the 10 and no less then 5, I have never taken a bird over 75 yards, or no less than 25.
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

4pointer

Great post,, I'm new too this turk huntin,,Got one last year, but the hunt lasted about 15 minutes....... still learning
IF IT"S BROWNS IT\'S DOWN.

LIFE MEMBER ~N.A.H.C.
HUNT HARD~YOU WILL BE REWAREDED

Tags: