Probably the final range report from AK on the .338 MAI

Started by gitano, July 01, 2005, 10:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

Paul and I were wishing that we had thought about it soon enough and he would have sent it to me and I would have taken it elk hunting this year. Maby next year.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Some days chickens - some days feathers. I'm workin' on it as best I can buddy! Been a lot of feathers last couple of years. I will say that it has been on two moose hunts - just no trigger pullin'. :(

Paul

PS

John, I'm almost afraid to ask... Did I ever get that summary to you?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Quote from: gitanoPS

John, I'm almost afraid to ask... Did I ever get that summary to you?

Paul

...............................................no...............but no rush...you got family to take care of..........besides I am still unpacking boxes ..................ol' john:D
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

fish

again, interesting ... especially in light of federal's introduction of the .338-08.

Nelsdou

I believe I have read through all the MAI threads, and indeed, an impressive piece of work!  And I do appreciate the data collection and analysis.  If I could be so vulgar to ask, what does it cost to make up a reamer for the 338 MAI?

I had been thinking about the possibility of doing the 338x57, ( as well as other wildcats based on the '06 and '08) but had not considered the AI aspects because the concern for impaired feeding from the magazine.  Gitano/LLANOJOHN, have you guys seen any issues on feeding due to the bigger shoulders on the MAI cartridge?  I have two k98's in 7.62 NATO that feed without a hitch (.454 vs.431 shoulder diameters).

Nels
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Nels,

For my part I only fireformed about 5 cases just to check my work. Paul has fired the rifle many, many more times than I have.

For the cost of the reamer........$175.00 plus postage. Dave Manson does superb work and I have several other reamers from him. Your other option of the 338x57 standard is also a very good cartridge. It won't quite reach the velocity that the MAI does but should do a good job. Based on my initial research I was expecting velocities in the 2600fps range but that was based on the original data from experimental work in the 1950's. From what I had read on other wildcats I felt the now available VV powders would provide higher velocities without exceeding our self imposed pressure limits of no more than 60,000psia. Paul has done "yeoman's" work in the load development and pressure testing and I am most greatful. Please bear in mind that everything centered around a good cartridge for the 98 Mauser action. Something that would approach the power levels of the 338/06 and not too far from the 338 Win Mag. Paul and I are both big fans of the 98 Mauser as the basis for a good custom rifle. I will let him say any further words as to his personal impressions on our joint "baby"! I am of the firm opinion we jointly "fathered" a good one...........Now if he can manage a bear or a Caribou and I can manage to one day do a Elk hunt...............:D :D

Go luck to you in your endeavor.......I hope it is as successful as our joint venture.:cool: :cool:

Ol' John
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

Nelsdou

Thanks for the info John.  You guys have certainly pushed the x57 mauser to a  contender in the 338 cal.  The 338 MAI would be more that adequate for anything I would aspire to hunt and a real jewel in a mauser custom sporter.  Going after a reamer in 338x57 vs MAI I guess is a no-brainer other than the joy of fire-forming cartridges.  H'mmm, the wheels are turning........thanks!
Put it into perspective; we live on a rock hurtling through space, what could be scarier than that?

gitano

The truth is, I have had a little issue with feeding when using the 200s and 210s. It doesn't happen every time, but more often than not. What is required is closing the bolt smartly and with purpose. The problem is the longer bullets and the larger shoulder. The actual shoulder on this rifle is 0.456". What happens is that at that last moment before the round lines up with the bore, the tip of the Ballistic Tip just touches the top of the chamber while the bottom side of the case just behind the shoulder is touching the leading edge of the feed ramp. This causes a little 'bind'. I am quite sure it is easily remedied with judicious honing of the feed ramp, and probably just a frog's hair off of the rails. It hasn't been a big enough issue for me not to take it moose hunting twice and bear hunting once. However, since it's winter, I'll prolly have to get after it sooner than later.

WRT to the .338-06, I think the only real issue is whether you want to use a 'long' action or not. As John said, we're both partial to Mausers, and given that preference, this was a foregone conclusion. If I were going to use the '06 case, I'd certainly AI it, making it a what - a .338 Whelen? Also, John had done considerable research and found absolutely no reference to this particular wildcat. That in itself is pretty amazing.

It's been a hoot. I'm just finishing up "the book" on this matter, so I can send it to John. I've decided that to have a complete look at this cartridge, I really have to shoot the coated Barnes 185 "X". I've got a feeling based on working up some loads for a friend in .338 WM, that they're gonna outperform the 200 CTBST. I think the decision will probably come down to which one is more precise, but the Barnes' are quite a bit more expensive ($32/50 vs $19/50) than the CTBSTs.

I just finished going over the data, and a muzzle velocity of 2825 f/s for a 200 grain bullet with a BC of .414 delivering 2073 ft-lbs to the target at 300 yds, or 3200 f/s for a 160 with a BC of .337 delivering 1961 ft-lbs at 300, is good enough medicine for anything in NA even in the hands of a rank amateur. John had a good idea, and executed it well. :)

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: