Standard Cartridge Series - 17 Remington

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), October 08, 2004, 08:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Well...we're gonna try to re-establish some of the data.  We'll start with this one and let you folks re-post your comments.

I've never owned one of these but I have shot a Remington BDL chambered for this cartridge.  It did not quickly kill the varmint but it did put him down inactive at once.

gitano

I've owned one of these in M700 BDL for a lttle over 20 years. It has never failed to kill "instantly" anything I have shot with it. It is a bit idiosycratic with respect to acuracy/precision. I can shoot 10 rounds that almost exactly cut out a circle the diameter of a quarter. From 10 - 20 the group opens increasingly. After 20 rounds without cleaning, the accuracy is poor. My loads of H414 produce a muzzle velocity of 4112 f/s using the standard 25 grain Hornady HP.

In my experience reloading the .17 Rem, I have found it necessary to be very meticulous about all elements. Small absolute changes (say 0.1 grains), are large relative changes in such a small cartridge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

NUMBERFARMER

I have had a 17 for several years and have loved it and hated it.  I can go along and hit 10 or 12 praire dogs in a row, and then miss one by what seems like a mile.  I would weigh all charges when reloading for it since small variations seem to make big differences.  Sometimes it is necessary to clean often and sometimes you can get away with 50 or so rounds.   The wind blows it all over the place.  I have had mine for sale many times and then think its great for awhile.  I can't live with it and I would hate to go through a praire dog season without it.  It is also very effective on coyotes but when the bullet slows too much, it can put a very small hole through the thing your shooting at.  I would sell mine, but if I did I would end up owning another so I guess I just better keep the one I have.

Tags: