Powder Horn Makings 05

Started by Alboy, May 25, 2005, 05:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

RatherBHuntin

True true Alboy, you are definately sharing. I have socked this one away for a project at some point. You made it look really easy. Don't forget to make one for yourself! The personalization is a very cool touch as well, you are gonna make Jimbo a happy shooter. Stylish too, looking good in the woods is important, the deer don't want to get shot by just any old vagabond.    

A  very nice gift.

Careful wraslin those bulls for there horns, I am bettin they try to hang on to em.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Alboy

Thamkyou for the compliment, not too bad for an old Aggie.

In Texas there generally Aggies(Texas A&M) and teasippers (university of texas) supporters. There are other schools of course but just about every one will side with one or the other of the above rivalty.

All that said the teasippers have a "Hook 'em Horns" motto and as such I have them collect the horns I need off of the live bulls. Other than that I pick up horn off the ground. Especially after a YELL PRACTICE where we have a "Saw Varsities Horns Off" ceremony.

Generally I do find this very easy, akin to others bookcase projects or working on their cars. I unabashedly use modern power tools for cutting, polishing and drilling. Also so far I have only really worked on "Hunting" horns which only need to carry a very few rounds of powder. I think more than 3 is plenty but 10 is the definate max. For target practice take a couple of pounds along.

Along this line I am working on loading blocks that will carry just enough patched balls to match each horn. Still playing with this idea as I want it too match the horn to some extent, they will also need to match the rifle they get paired with in that there will be a relief on one side to match the OD of the barrel for ease of alignment with the bore.

There are easier ways but plastic does look a little tacky when that quarry turns and looks you over as it readies itself to fill the freezer.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Alboy

Jay suggested waxing and drawing in the wax then ink for a quick scrimshaw. Tried that but my eyes can not see where the heck I scratched.

What worked for me was to pencil draw and then use the dremel with an etching point (Will post a picture later) and then use a OOO brush to ink the line.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Tags: