The Traditional Bowhunter/Bowmaker

Started by Jay Edward (deceased), March 13, 2005, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Edward (deceased)

Everyone has to start somewhere for any given activity. Traditional archery has it's beauty in the simplicity of the equipment. Very little can go wrong and the archery/bowhunter can usually fix the problem his/her self. In a pinch, a passable bow can be made out of materials found just about everywhere.

I can remember, lo these many years, making 'bows & arrows' as a youngster. A tree limb, some wire or cord, a few reeds from along the creek and a nail for a point. This is short range hunting indeed but the idea formed in my mind that I needed something a little more finished.

I was given a succession of little wooden bows on birthdays, etc...some with a hole in the middle of the bow to 'guide' the arrow. These came equiped with the deadly suction cup and left many an octopus ring on the 9" TV set we had. (Barton McLane just wasn't fast enough)

Eventually I was given a fiberglass take down bow of about 30 lbs. I used that until I had it taken away. (It's amazing how many of my neat things were 'taken away' due to differences in philosophy between myself on one side and my dad leading the neighbors on the other)

I bought my first bow, which was a 47 lb. laminate, eventually and shot it whenever I could. The ship I was on during my military service even had me trying to shoot giant squid with fiberglass arrows. But at my first job after the military, I shot it daily at lunch with a bunch of the other fellas. Back then an employer didn't get in the way of employee morale.

I tried a compound in the 70s for a couple of years but gave it away since it seemed more like machinery than a living bow. (A personal opinion) I got back into Traditional bows after awhile and still use them when I find time to go bowhunting. Since I have my own little range, I sometimes take time off to do a little shooting for relaxation during the day.

Everyone could use a little inspiration and I'm no different. I love to collect and read books...especially classics. Dreary days when I'm not feeling good, long evening in the winter, just for a respite from the world...I can dive into my stockpile of books and come up with something to re-energize me.

Here is a list of the reference books I use to make traditional archery items, to read about the lifestyle and to get advice on how to correctly use the equipment. This does not include many issues of Primitive Archer or Traditional Bowhunter.

The Bowyers Bible (3 Vols)

The Witchery of Archery by Maurice Thompson

The Art of Making Primitive Bows and Arrows by D. C. Waldorf

Longbow by Robert Hardy

American Indian Archery by Reginald & Gladys Laubin

Secrets of the Omaha Bow by William Vonderhey

Native American Bows, Arrows & Quivers by Alley & Hamm

Making Indian Bows and Aroows The Old Way by Doublas Wallentine

The Bent Stick by Paul Comstock

Complete Guide To Bowhunting by Helgeland

Hunting With Bow & Arrow by Saxton Pope

The Adventurous Bowmen by Saxton Pope

Hunting The Hard Way by Howard Hill

The Bowyer's Craft by Jay Massey

A Thousand Campfires by Jay Massey

Ishi In Two Worlds by Theodora Kroeber

Fred Bear's Field Notes by Fred Bear

Longbows In The Far North by I. Donnall Thomas Jr

Archery Tackle, How To Make & How To Use It by Adolph Shane

RatherBHuntin

Wow, thanks Jay, that looks to be a fairly comprehensive list.  I'm gonna have to see if I can make my way thru it.  Saw a couple right off the bat that looked to be interesting.  Fred Bear's Field Notes and American Indian Archery ought to be entertaining and informative.
Glenn

"Politics is supposed to be the world\'s second oldest profession.  I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
Ronald Reagan

Jay Edward (deceased)

One little book that's listed there you might find very interesting RBH.  The Witchery Of Archery by Maurice Thompson.  It's not a very big book but it was written right after the Civil War for reasons which will be explained in the book.

The message I came away with, the most interesting concept out of the books was, for me, the articles written by Tim Baker.  I, like many others, felt that bows had to be made out of certain types of wood and those only.  He showed me, and others, the error of our way.

Varying bow design to maximize the properties of any specific wood only seems logical to me now.  It also shows that some tribal (or early) bows were wide, long or short for a reason...and not just for style.

What passed for decoration was not really so...and the deflex/reflex concept really grabbed me.  If I ever have another custom bow made for myself, it will be from a maker in Utah that I heard about.  I cannot remember his name right off but he seems to have brought the selfbow to it's maximum potential.  Comstock's article on the Overbuilt Bow is an eye opener as well.  It really changes your view of ancient man.

Tags: