Steyr 30-'06 Mod M testing

Started by sakorick, September 21, 2020, 01:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

My trigger guard finally delivered after 4 months. The techie said the new plastic trigger guards had been upgraded with steel screw inserts and a new plastic formula....we'll see. Any way I started with 165 grain then 180 grain Accubonds using Varget starter loads and it shot poorly. I called PS and he recommended going hotter to find the  correct barrel timing. It worked. This morning I switched to RL22 and found an interesting load on the Nosler site. 61 Grains of RL22 was the best group and fastest speed....you don't see that often! It didn't like the 165's but the 180's hit a homerun. Easily sub MOA at 2766'/sec.
#1=165 gr accubond w 50.5 gr Varget @ 2740
#2= 180      "        "       w 50     "     "      @ 2704
#3= 165 gr      "       w 62 gr      RL22  @ 2838
#4= 180  #       "              w 61 gr            "        @ 2766
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

My RCBS 30-'06 which is at least 50 years old has been retired. Hard to find the old parts anymore and None of the new parts work on the resizer. it's been a great die but I need to replace it.

sakorick

The only new resizing die I could find was a Hornady and I really like it. I found it on Amazon for 30 bucks, no tax and free delivery. All the other die makers are covid weary and back ordered on everything. Now I can resume testing.:yes:

gitano

Good group with that 180! Call it an average of 2750 f/s, and that bullet 'reaches out there', delivering great energies out to 300+. (2003 ft-lb at 300 yd.) Especially for white-tails. The Accubond in .338 has approached 'magic' in its terminal performance for me out of the .338 MAI. I kinda hate to say a 'newfangled' bullet has better terminal performance than good ol' cup-and-core, but I've never been one to let my 'wants' over-ride the truth. Nosler is 'proud' of them, but in this case, the high price might actually be justified.

It  will be interesting to see if the new die changes anything.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Eric is bow hunting for a few days so I'll recheck the groups when he leaves. Since Sierra doesn't make the 180 grain pro Hunter anymore, the Accubonds work well and the high cost seems justified. Eric is after this guy.

branxhunter

Looking good Rick. Should reach out and do the job.

Marcus

Tags: