A Mere 8 Hours...

Started by gitano, July 17, 2020, 11:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I've been fiddling with the spruce tree that blew down and I cut into logs, making various vessels. I had a chunk of it that I was going to make into a bowl, so I decided to get that piece 'out of the way'. Here's what it looked like to start:

After working it over with a jack plane, it was ready for cutting the corners off and mounting on the lathe.

After cleaning up the bottom/outside, I started on the inside. The wall was ultimately about 1/8th inch thick up to the rim, which I left just shy of 1/4" at the very edge.

After getting the shape and wall thickness where I wanted it, I started sanding with my new drill attachment. Previously, I had hand sanded. I had the outside out to 600 grit, and started working on the inside. It was  particularly resistant to getting the last of the tearout sanded out. As I was removing the sanding disc from the bowl I hit the rim...

So much for 8 hours of work. As a rule, I only swear at 'little', annoying things. I never recall swearing at 'big stuff'. There was no swearing at this.

I have plenty of spruce. However, I'll never get back those 8 hours. Furthermore, there was nothing to 'learn', really, from this mistake. I have been moving away from 'power' in the past decade because I realized that minute errors 'under power' mean DISASTER. Minute errors 'by hand' rarely matter to anything significant. I thought this sanding under power would be different. For thin-walled vessels, it isn't.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Paul, just think how many rounds you could have reloaded in 8 hours or how much you could have done making a new stock for a rifle.   :grin:.......Paul H .....

gitano

I try not to, Paul. :cry:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

recoil junky

Pinion or juniper makes nice bowls and vases.

Mountain mahogany, ooh lah lah but requires metal turning equipment which I don't have.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

Tags: