Bison Hunt Load Development

Started by gitano, February 22, 2019, 11:20:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Nice range, thanks for the pics!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

Here are the promised pictures of the .416 at 100 yd.

The first shot at 100 yd was low and just right. I adjusted both windage and elevation.

Holes numbered "2" and "3" are the 2nd and 3rd shots after the first scope adjustment.

Shots numbered "4 and "5" are after adjusting the windage and elevation. Don't ask me why they moved "too far". I suspect operator error, but only because that's the most parsimonious explanation. I don't think I made that error, but what else explains it.

Shots numbered "6" through "8" are "for group", and I added a little more elevation. (I think I want it 5" high at 100.) Here's the data for that three-shot group.

As you can see, it's the 'typical' group size for the 500-grian bullets at 100 yd. It's 4" high and 'dead on' for windage, being 0.84" wide and 1.16" high with a group maximum dimension of 1.21".

I also took the Mauser chambered in .308 Win. (See here for pictures: http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19156&highlight=Howa but note it's a Mauser, not a Howa.) It went pretty well at first, then went to pieces. I couldn't figure it out, but... it was spraying them left-to-right. That suggested among other things, that the scope was loose. I grabbed it and gave a tug... Shiite muslims! It had shot loose! I fixed it and torqued it down to 30 in-lb (specs). However, I was 'done' mentally at that point, and packed up shop and left. Shot #1 was the first shot at 100, after bore sighting. I'd like to think shots 2 and 3 were before the scope shot loose, but I really don't know when it did. Notice that shot #2 took out the bull's eye. Also note that for the most part (excluding #8 - the last shot before I figured out what was going on), the elevation is pretty good - less than an MoA.

Here's something I just discovered when I took the lead sled that JaDub made for me out of the van:

Apparently, the .416 has a bit of recoil. Looks like I am going to have to practice my welding skills.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

In order to extract the most use from each cartridge fired, and with the desire to determine the precision (at least at 100 yd) of the .416x348 Win Ruger No.2, I have combined the 7 shots from the above target, subtracting the means of each group. Here's what that composite group would look like. The dimensions of the group (.84" max width, and 1.48" max height), are on the image, and the squares are 1". The "holes" are to scale.

It's about what I figured - 1.5 MoA at 100. I'd like to be able to hold that precision out to 300 yd, but experience suggests that it will open up to at least 3 MoA (9") at 300. Still, I'd be 'happy as a clam' if I could keep every shot within a 9" circle at 300 yd. A bison heart isn't much smaller than 9".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I shooda known there was 'something wrong' with the lead sled...

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

So I finally got around to calling the store in Anchorage that sold me the Accurate 2495 that went bad. They didn't have any. I checked four other places in Anchorage. No soap. I checked all the places in The Valley, (except one), that sell powder. Nope.

I wrestled mightily over calling literally the last possible place.I REALLY didn't want to call them. I despise the owners of that store. (I'll spare you the gory details.) I have said MANY times that if they were the last "gun store" in Alaska, I'd give up my guns. Under the topic of "be careful what you say"...

Finally, I broke down and called them. I kid you not, as I was waiting for them to check and see if they had any, I was saying to myself "Don't have it. Don't have it. Don't have it." Seriously! You know what happened of course. Not only do they have it, they probably have the state's entire supply. They had 10 POUNDS on their shelves! I bought two. :(

So... while I am ptooeying to get the crow feathers and bad taste out of my mouth, I do in fact now have 2 pounds of Accurate 2495. Plenty to load all the .338 WM ammo I need for the bison hunt, as well as enough for the other cartridges I use it in. It's difficult to view it as "good news".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Probably the last range report before the hunt.

First the .416x.348 Win with the 500 grain Hawk RN bullet at 100 yd:

Just over 3" high at 100 yd. I didn't feel the need to expend ammo at 100 yd.

The Sauer .338 WM with Accubond 225 bullet at 100 yd:

Just over 2" high at 100 yd. Again, not necessary to waste ammo at 100 yd.

The .416 at 200 yd:

The center of the group is 0.67" right, and 1.37" low. The max spread is 2.72" or 1.31 MoA.

The .416 at 300 yd:

The center of the group is 2.15" right , and 8.56" low. The max spread is 2.51" or 0.8 MoA. Note that the Point of Aim is the bottom of the green stick-on bullseye. Did these bullets "go to sleep"?

The Sauer at 200 yd:

The center of the group is 1.11" right, and 0.35" low. The max spread is 1.94" or 0.93 MoA.

The Sauer at 300 yd. Again, the PoA is in the center of the green stick-on bullseye.

The center of the group is 1.27" right, and 4.57" low. Max spread is 3.8" or 1.22 Moa. (Apparently, these bullets "woke up".)

So...
Both rifles are shooting "well enough" to go bison hunting. The .416 is not demonstrating as big a drop at 300 yards (8.5") as would be expected. That's why there are 4 shots in the grouping. Both rifles were "shooting to the right". Not sure what's causing that, but I suspect 'operator error'. Just don't know.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Paul Hoskins

Geez Paul, I sure wouldn't fret about this kind of accuracy and consistency from either gun. You're ready to go bison hunting with confidence. Just check both out again before you get in the field. You're not  varmint hunting. ......Paul H

gitano

"You're not varmint hunting"  - Ain't it the troof!

Now I just gotta SEE one!

I am very glad that I put in for an "either secks" permit. Especially since all the 'wisdom' is that there are no big bulls in this herd because bulls get shot as soon as they are big as a big cow. In other words, they never get a chance to get 'big'. I suspect a 5-year-old bull is an 'old' bull from this herd. So, I won't be 'hunting' for a big bull. What THAT translates to is that I am very likely to shoot a buffalo from the first bunch of them I see. That said, if I do shoot a cow, I want it to be a large, old one.

I'm headed up to Delta today for a little recon, and to speak with the local bison biologist at ADF&G. Recon-wise I mostly just want to get the lay of the land. There's no reason to believe that any bison I see will, in three weeks, be anywhere near where they are today. ("Opening day" for me is in 22 days.)

Gonna reload the brass I shot, and start putting my kit together.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Absolutely nothing wrong with that accuracy (sorry, precision :greentongue::nana:) for the job at hand.

Go get 'em.

Marcus

gitano

Thanks, Marcus. I'm sitting in a "steakhouse" in Delta as I write this. I drove up today, (6h), and knocked on doors seeking permission to trespass. ALL wanted at least $500; some $2000. Nevertheless, I feel good about the info I got. I'm writing this on my phone so I will keep this brief. I'll relate "the rest of the story" tomorrow.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: