2019 bear

Started by davidlt89, September 06, 2019, 05:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidlt89

Set my bait up at the end of my field this year just like the last 5 years. This year I put a sensor on it so I did not have to keep looking out my living room window.
   Got home early from work on the first day of the season and was just finishing up lunch when my sensor went off. Looked out the window and low and behold this bear was piddling around the blind I had set up for the boys.
   I have shot my last couple bear with my 375 H&H but happen to have the 7mm mag in the corner just in case a window shot presented itself.
    I put the 7mm mag on the rest and got out a bullet and loaded it in the rifle. The bullet was a 160gr nosler accubond backed by IMR 4350. This was a load Gitano helped me with when I first started reloading.
   I put the crosshairs right on top of left shoulder and the bullet went in the left ear and came out the left eye socket dropping her right there. Not what I intended, but I will take it.
   I ate the heart that night!
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Paul Hoskins

Good to see you're still among us, David. Congrat's on your bear. I would love to be back up there in Maine bear hunting but I'm about too blind to see much of anything in the woods any more. Especially in low light when bears & deer start prowling. ........Paul H....

gitano

:biggthumpup:

What's the range from your window to the bait? The reason I ask, is that I was wondering about the use (non-use?) of the .375.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

davidlt89

Thanks guys! I am still alive!:grin:

Paul H- been the toughest hunting here for bear I have ever seen. Baits are almost useless due to there being so much natural foods. The guides are having a real hard time, which does not really bother me much.:happy:

Gitano- My bait is approximately 156 yards from my window. I tried a shot with the 375 H&H a couple years ago out the window and missed, I am sure that is a very "doable" distance for the 375. I just feel more comfortable with the 7mm mag so I through that in the corner, plus I have a lot more ammo loaded up for it.
The last two bear before this one I used my 375 H&H in tree stands. It is nice having a bear "stay there" after you shoot it.:smiley:
Romans 12:2

2 Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

gitano

"Yup" to everything you said!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: