New Stand for Swaging Press

Started by gitano, May 28, 2019, 02:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

As some of you may recall, the "home-made" swaging press I have is a behemoth (71 pounds) and isn't designed for use on anything but a "substantial" stand/table. I broke a solid wood bench top that is 2.5" thick using it. In order to use it with any regularity, I needed to come up with a SUBSTANTIAL stand. And so I did.

The top plate to which the press is attached, is 5"x6"x1/2" steel plate.

The "post", is a 2"x5"x40" steel tube with 1/8" walls, and the foot is 6"x9"x3/8" steel plate.

I was going to weld it together myself, but I have ZERO experience welding, and practicing with a very nice little stick-welder that j0e_bl0ggs gave me, wasn't instilling any confidence that I could do a good job on the VERY FIRST welding project I ever tried. The short story is that I traded some walnut lumber for some professional welding. I'm happy with the result and the 'deal'.

Here are pictures of the mounted press and the whole contraption mounted to the wall.

If I pull that off the wall, there's 'something wrong'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Never be ashamed of building things heaver than you think you need. Excellent job!

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

What farnboy said again. I would love a hydraulic press but know nothing about sensors & limiting switches for hydraulics. End of stroke just doesn't get it for my liking. A breakover toggle with a hydraulic cylinder would be fine by my lights and even more powerful requiring a smaller cylinder to boot.   .......Paul H

branxhunter

Certainly looks very business like. I like the look of the wall behind it!

Marcus

gitano

Quote from: branxhunter;153273I like the look of the wall behind it!

Marcus
Thanks, Marcus. I tried to crop most of that wall out. 😁 Unless you were referring to the stone walls. 😉

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Tags: