Long Branch

Started by sakorick, December 27, 2018, 01:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

The Long Branch Arms plant was just SW of Toronto, Canada. It opened  in 1940 and produced somewhere around 900,000 No4 MK1* rifles during WWII. So they are by no means rare.......except several thousand were shipped to New Zealand in 1942 and 43. They were essentially put into their war reserves along with very early 1903 Remingtons. Since the Japanese never tried to invade New Zealand(thank-you MG Alexander Archer Vandegrift and the 1st Marine Division!), these lend lease rifles eventually found their way home. The condition of these rifles varied, however, the Long Branch rifles for the most part are in Pristine unissued condition.....a collector's dream come true. A acquaintance from several rifle transactions emailed me and said he was selling his collection and if I were interested in any of them.....I spotted the Long Branch and said I would take it since it looked so good. It arrived today and has the New Zealand Broad arrow!!!! I called him and asked if he knew it was a Lend Lease rifle and he said yes but I didn't think that would bother you. So here it is....a 75 year old time capsule.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

branxhunter

Nice pick up Rick. Are you going to see how it shoots?

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;152217Nice pick up Rick. Are you going to see how it shoots?

Marcus

Got to load some shells first.....going to be awhile.

farmboy

Have you tried it yet?

sakorick

gitano

Nice!

Even if it is a SMLE!:devil:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

It's my co-favorite as I also have an close to unissued Stevens/Savage. That said the Birch stock on the NZ rifle is really nice. It also has a ZAMAC buttplate Zinc, Aluminum, Magnesium And Copper = ZAMAC.

farmboy

That on is also a Lee Enfield?  Lol you are talking about an area of firearms I know almost nothing about. Regards

sakorick

Quote from: farmboy;153207That on is also a Lee Enfield?  Lol you are talking about an area of firearms I know almost nothing about. Regards

In the early stages of WWII both Canada and the US produced The #4 mark 1* Lee Enfield rifles. Since the US had not entered the war yet, the US rifles were essentially sold to the British under a guise called the "Lend Lease" program. The Savage-Stevens rifles have U.S. PROPERTY stamped on the left side of the receiver, along with the Ordnance Department’s “Flaming Bomb” acceptance stamp. Early rifles were equipped with the ladder type of adjustable rear sight, but these were soon replaced by the less complicated MK2, “L” style sight that could be flipped for a range of 300 or 600 yards. Over 1,000,000 were made and they are excellent rifles and treasured by Enfield collectors. Long Branch, the Canadian Company, produced over 900,000 of the rifles  and a number of them were shipped to New Zealand and remained in War Reserves and essentially were never used and are still in as new condition. All Enfields except for the .22 trainers, shoot the .303 British cartridge.

codger

Quote from: sakorick on December 27, 2018, 01:53:42 PMThe Long Branch Arms plant was just SW of Toronto, Canada. It opened  in 1940 and produced somewhere around 900,000 No4 MK1* rifles during WWII. So they are by no means rare.......except several thousand were shipped to New Zealand in 1942 and 43. They were essentially put into their war reserves along with very early 1903 Remingtons. Since the Japanese never tried to invade New Zealand(thank-you MG Alexander Archer Vandegrift and the 1st Marine Division!), these lend lease rifles eventually found their way home. The condition of these rifles varied, however, the Long Branch rifles for the most part are in Pristine unissued condition.....a collector's dream come true. A acquaintance from several rifle transactions emailed me and said he was selling his collection and if I were interested in any of them.....I spotted the Long Branch and said I would take it since it looked so good. It arrived today and has the New Zealand Broad arrow!!!! I called him and asked if he knew it was a Lend Lease rifle and he said yes but I didn't think that would bother you. So here it is....a 75 year old time capsule.

Does it have a 2 groove barrel ?

Tags: