Lopsided

Started by Paul Hoskins, December 13, 2018, 12:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hoskins

Took corn out for the deer this morning & came back inside. Ten minutes later this boy came in for a snack instead of granny. Looks like he might have mixed with the big boy or misjudged the space between two trees while running. Not a bad rack if they were all there. Looks rather lopsided. Deer don't normally shed antlers here till around Feb. Sorry for the lousy quality of the pictures but I can't see very well any more. .......Paul h

Jamie.270

There's not a darned thing wrong with those pictures Paul.  You did good!

He sure has an interesting eyeguard.
Are forked eyeguards common on whitetails?
Other than a few severely atypical racks, I don't think I've ever seen a forked eyeguard on a mulie or a blacktail.
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

Jamie270, I don't think forked eye guards ( brow tines) are common in whitetail deer but fairly common around here. I'll see if I can find a picture of a buck that I suspect is this deer's pappy. He is most likely the father of most of the deer around the back yard. I know he has at least one forked brow tine but doesn't show very well in the pictures I have of the beast. He is a brute & all the other bucks turn tail when he shows up. Probably a good idea too. The forked brow tines are probably a hereditary trait.  .....Paul H

Jamie.270

Wow, he's a brute.  He does have some great browtines/eyeguards.
Looking at that neck of his, those pictures must have been during the rut.
He's quite a specimen.  I hope you're correct that his genes are still propagating the species around there.

Lucky you!
QuoteRestrictive gun laws that leave good people helpless, don\'t have the power to render bad people harmless.

To believe otherwise is folly. --  Me

Paul Hoskins

Jamie.270, there is several lesser bucks that come in the back yard that look like the brute. Their antlers are almost identical in shape  to the bull. His antlers don't spread wide but are tall and heavy with long tines and split brow tines. I saw three young bucks with fork horns out there together a couple or three years ago, All three had antlers with the same shape as the bull. I'm positive his genes will be around a while.  ........Paul H

Tags: