We got birds!

Started by Hunterbug, December 06, 2018, 04:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterbug

On Sunday Crackalope and I took Rebel out to a preserve for some released birds. We paid for 6 pheasant and 3 chukar. We explained to the owner that Rebel is a pup and we are both novices. So he planted two birds first. Rebel bumped them both and they took off. He explained that I needed to keep him closer to me. I did that and the next bird he jumped on. I pulled him off and flushed it. Crackalope missed. Fourth bird, same thing. Nick said that when I see Rebel getting birdy I need to whoa him. Fifth bird, he points it, I flush it, and barely hit it. It glides at least 100 yards and Rebel is right on it. I was sure it was gone. Nope! Here he comes with the bird in his mouth. The next bird? Same thing. He made back to back amazing retrieves. The last 3 we dropped cleanly and he retrieved them. I am very happy with his progress.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Sounds like a good, and productive time. Rebel is coming along.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Excellent! The only way they learn is getting them on birds.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Paul Hoskins

Good Rebel. I love watching a good bird dog or livestock herder work. .....What's for supper? :food04: :D ......Paul H

branxhunter

Quote from: Paul Hoskins;152144Good Rebel. I love watching a good bird dog or livestock herder work. .....What's for supper? :food04: :D ......Paul H

Agree with this ^^^^^. Good work Rebel and HB.

Marcus

Hunterbug

Thanx guys. We had a great time. He has been so much fun. We will both be sad when season ends. Here is a pheasant dish that I made.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

codger

Tags: