My big trip

Started by sakorick, May 17, 2018, 07:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

Yesterday I decided to kill 3 birds with one stone cramming 3 legs into one trip. The 3 goals were to hit the Sierra outlet in Sedalia(110 miles), then migrate down  US65 6 miles South of Warsaw to drop off my 35 Whelen project at the Macon Stock Company(46 miles), then head for Whiteman AFB (57 miles) and then head for home 130 (miles).
So here goes leg 1. As I started South on MO11, I remembered I had my .357 on board and the AP's at the gate would not like that very much. So I stopped at Bill Standley's place and had his wife baby sit my Manurin til I got back. A arrived in Sedalia at the Sierra company at 0930 sharp. Renee was just opening the outlet door when I walked up. The factory seconds are in 110, 20 gallon barrels so you call out the product number to Renee and how many pounds. So, I bought 6 pounds of bullets for $63.69 . I also picked up some hats for the boys. Leg two in next thread.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

sakorick

Leg two goes from the Sierra Plant down US65 6 miles South of Warsaw to the Macon Gunworks. The plan was to see how much it would cost for them to inlet, complete sanding, install tips and checker. I met Brian and Sherri Macon in the shop. Brian's Grandfather was the first person Mr Bishop hired back in the 40's in his fledgling stock business. Mr Fajen was the second. Brian's dad followed in his dad's footsteps and was hired at the age of 14. The in the early 60's Fajen split from Bishop to form his own stock making company. This led to the end of both companies sometime in the 70's. However, Brian's Dad purchased the two Walnut groves they owned in California and Missouri and much of the equipment from Bishop who had retired.  Brian went to work in the Macon Gunworks at the age of 14 and took over when his father died. After a wonderful tour, we sat down and went over what I wanted. Sherri wrote everything down in great detail. I wanted the rifle on a hybred Sako/Weatherby cross with Win Mod 70 four panel standard checkering, A 1 inch decelerator pad, 14 in LOP, Pillar bedded and floated ready for final finish.....my job. After we had reviewed the bidding, Brian said $450 for the work. He will do all the inletting and his son does the checkering. I paid $225 down and owe $225 at the end of the day. We picked my Zebra Ebony for the tips. So far the trip is working as planned. On to leg 3 later.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

On to leg 3 from the stock factory to Whiteman AFB. Why am I headed to Whiteman?? The class 6 store. Here is the cheapest whisky in the country untaxed and cheap gasoline. Whiteman AFB is the home of the country's 509th Bomb wing, B2 Bomber.....all 20 of them. Each plane has it's own hangar. It is also home of the      
Missouri Army National Guard's 1st Battalion, 135th Aviation Regiment which recently retired all their AH-1F Cobras for the AH-64 Apache. The base itself is like driving into a brand new town as all the old WWII buildings are gone replaced with all new hangars, quarters and shopping centers. Whiteman also has a wonderful collection of vintage aircraft scattered all over the base. So I headed North up US65 to a short cut. Left on SR 62 20miles West to Windsor and North on SR23 to the base. This turned out to be a bad idea....it was 2 miles shorter but prolly 15 minutes longer. N-S roads in Missouri are a problem.....rivers, zillions of them that generally flow West to East SR 23 looked good on the map but turned out to be a series of Z's and W's, one lane bridges hills. I enter at the Main gate and had no inspection then gave myself a self guided tour of the base. This is what I found.

sakorick

Back home leg 4. Took US50 East to Sedalia, N on US 65, N on SR 41 to E on 24 to N on SR11, picked up the pistol, L on US 36 and N on SR5 to farm. 2 hr 40 minutes home at 1535 hours. A fantastic beautiful day in Missouri. Hope you liked riding along.

gitano

Loved the tour! Would have liked to do it with you in person.

NONE of that stuff was at Whiteman in the late '70s. AND... it was rumored that it was going to be closed in one of Clinton's base closure 'deals'. It was an ICBM missile base when I was there, and now, as you point out, an Air Wing and ANG regiment. So, technically, the missile base was 'closed'.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I would REALLY like to visit the Sierra factory. REALLY LIKE TO.

Paul

PS - Just did a little math. One of the primary bullets I would want to purchase would be the 220-grain GameKing 8mms. 220 grains is 0.503 ounces. That means that there are 31.88 of them per pound. Using Rick's charge of $63.69 for 10 lb (including tax), 50 of those bullets (the number per box for the ones sold at retail) would cost $9.99. The cheapest I can find them BEFORE SHIPPING is $26.49. So more than 50% off.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;150866I would REALLY like to visit the Sierra factory. REALLY LIKE TO.

Paul

It's called Alaska Airlines!

Paul Hoskins

Thanks for the tour, Rick. I sure would have enjoyed the trip in  person too. Getting so blind I just about have to have a driver. I like all of it. That A-10 (Warthog) is one of my favorite airplanes. My favorite is the SR71 (Blackbird). It really gets with the program. :biggthumpup:.......Paul H

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

QuoteThat A-10 (Warthog) is one of my favorite airplanes. My favorite is the SR71 (Blackbird).
My two favorite military airplanes.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;150872My two favorite military airplanes.

Paul

When we drive down to Whiteman, I'll contact the Sqdn Cdr and arrange a Sqdn tour. The 442nd Fighter Wing ANG is  based at Whiteman with 48 Warthogs....you will be in A10 heaven! I believe it's the biggest A-10 unit in the world.:biggthumpup: The A-10 is an interesting aircraft. The Air Force developed the General Electric GAU-8/A Avenger, a 30 mm hydraulically driven seven-barrel Gatling-type autocannon that is typically mounted in the United States Air Force's Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II. So they had this tank buster canon with no aircraft to install it on. So the Air Force had Fairchild build a plane to haul it around. The Gau-8A is the size of a VW car!

sakorick

Here is the 30MM round next to a 30-'06. OBTW the ballistic coeffecient of the 30MM round is very high.

Paul Hoskins

The A-10 may be little but it's the toughest & meanest :cens: on the block any way you look at it. ......Paul H

Jorge in Oz

Super cool trip Rick. Would love to get a Sierra cap. Will have to hit eBay.
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Tags: