Santa came early....

Started by sakorick, December 06, 2017, 12:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

with a new Deer rifle. It was originally a 1867 11.7X51R Danish Remington Rolling Block. In 1896 the rifles were converted to the 8X58R, the action re- heat treated as were the blocks and pins in anticipation of smokeless powder. Since Sauer also had a 8X58R the rifle became known as the 8X58RD. I have ordered some 45-70 brass with the rims trimmed to .060 by Buffalo Arms. I will be shooting a 200 grain Speer Hot Core(.323) bullet using a starting load of 49 grains of RL25. Both Alain and Paul helped me with this load using Quick Load. We also set a max load of 51 grains which produces a MV of 2200'/sec and 22,000 PSI chamber pressure out of the 33 inch barrel. The amazing low chamber pressure is actually a product of new slow burning powder technology. I will be shooting no more than 150 yards from my stand. So, at 100 yard zero, the V=2034 and E=1836 and at 150 yards  V=1954 and E=1696. The rifle is all matching and has been sporterized along the way with a new rear sight and lower barrel band removed. I think she looks pretty cool. The bore is bright and excellent, the bluing and case colors are excellent as well.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Rick bought this rifle before I could!

Nice piece, Rick. Here's hoping it shoots straight!

The 8x58RD looks very much like the 8x56R, but the Danish bullet is actually 8mm (sort of, at .323" in diameter, which is in fact 8.2mm), while the 8x56R's bullet is either 0.329" or 0.330" inches in diameter which is in fact ~8.4mm.

Also, 58mm is longer than 56mm.

About 2mm longer in fact. ;)

But there are other slight dimensional differences besides length that make using 8x56R brass less than 'ideal'.

Notice differences in rim diameter and head diameter, and different case lengths from head to shoulder and head to the base of the neck. These length differences make the angle of the shoulder different. None of which is a 'deal killer' with fire forming, BUT... The 0.011" difference in head diameter is an 'issue' for me. I've tried to blow heads out with fire forming, and it has never really worked.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Jorge in Oz

"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

Paul Hoskins

Nice looking gun. I like the rolling block action but not wild about them. I'm pretty sure I have a few bullets of .329 diameter around here somewhere & possibly a few cartridges for  this gun but it would require a tracking dog to locate them. .....Paul H

Tags: