A Young Fisherman's First Fish

Started by gitano, October 11, 2017, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

I spent the last week in Oklahoma attending a family reunion. Probably the last time some of us old codgers will get together. The reunion event 'proper' was held at South Lakes Park, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. https://www.okc.gov/departments/parks-recreation/rentals-and-permits/south-lakes-event-center It was a great place! The weather was great, and the gathering was great!

You'd think with a name like "South Lakes Park", there would be LAKES - and you'd be right! There are three lakes there, all of which hold fish AND you are allowed to fish for them!

I have been trying to get my oldest (3 1/2-year-old) grandson his first fish. I was having a tough time finding a place with good bluegill fishing! Struck out in Utah. Struck out in Alaska. Hit the jackpot in Oklahoma. I didn't scout the reunion venue before the reunion, or I would have brought fishing gear to the reunion. However, I told my grandson that we would be back the next day to get some fishing in. He was pumped! (No getting out of it now, grandpa.)

I bought him a kid fishing pole, some bobbers, some hooks, and some worms. I bought a non-resident, 1-day fishing license. We went over to my cousin's house that evening, and he, being a fishing fool, said he would love to come along. So, the next day, Zaiden's (my grandson) mother (my daughter), his brother, his grandpa (me), and my cousin headed back to South Lakes Park to get Zaiden (and maybe his little brother) his first fish.

The bobber had barely hit the water when the bluegills hit! (I LOVE bluegills!) Right away Zaiden had his first ever fish!

I have a video that his mother took of him landing the fish, but I have to get it uploaded to a form appropriate for the forum.

Here's the fish:

Wasn't too long, and mom and cousin Perry were in on the action. Here's little brother watching the fish to make sure they weren't jumping out of the bucket:

And looking at a recently caught one:

We fished for about an hour and caught about 20 fish. We let them all go (after close examination). It was a great day!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

recoil junky

Well done Paul. Little kids and bluegills go together like, well, kids and bluegills. And they eat good too!

My boys spent some time fishing for bluegills in Nebraska farm ponds. It was as you described and very exciting. The worm barely hits the water and a fish is on.

RJ
When you go afield, take the kids and please......................................wear your seatbelts.
Northwest Colorado.............Where the wapiti roam and deer and antelope run amuck. :undecided:  
Proud father of a soldier medic in The 82nd Airborne 325th AIR White Falcons :army:

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

Hunterbug

Great pictures, Paul. Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you get rid of him on weekends. :D
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Totally awesome! Way to go, Zaiden. :MOGRIN:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: