8x57 Range Report..........ARGHHH!!!

Started by kombi1976, February 26, 2005, 04:30:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kombi1976

Well, folks, I wish this report on my k98 was as comprehensive as I thought it was going to be this morning but it's not to be.
After calling a friend and finding out another place in Sydney that has a 100m range was open I decided not to go to the indoor 50m range.

I thought "Gee, as far as I can remember it's about the same driving time & at least I can properly test it."

Thing was it took me ages to find. When I got there I had to look around for the range officer and pay my range fees ($16) and then another $5 to hire a bench rest and bag. Already money was mounting up if you add the petrol. When I said I was sighting in and trying out loads he said:

"Well, take it along to 50m range first and put some on the paper there before moving to the 100m section."

That seemed sensible.
So I took my stuff over there and planted 2 PMC 170gn factory loads on the target about 3" apart using the iron sights. That was enough for me. I approached the range officer to ask could I go and fetch the target.

"Not unless you want a really nasty hot feeling in your guts," he replied.

So I had to borrow a spotting scope to check out the shots. I figured they must've been shooting for a short time.
Since I was satisfied with the 50m performance I decided to move to the 100m section. I had to again distract the R.O. from an important conversation on turning pigs into collanders( ) where upon he told me to see the first range officer at the desk and pay another dollar for a new target for the 100m range?!
This took more time and finally I set up on the 100m benches. I chambered a round and set up my digital camera so I could take a QuickTime movie of the rifle as it fired.
Then the R.O. says:

"10 minute warning before changing targets; empty or shoot anything in you chambers and open your bolts."

So I took the movie and shot and put my rifle up in the rack. Then they said either forward or off the bench level so I went forward to check the shot which got on the paper although a little low. To be frank, it was a miracle I hit anything. I'm at sea with the iron sights on the Mauser.

When I returned I asked one R.O. "Can I set up my chronograph now?"

He looked at me like I'd come from another planet.

"You needed to tell us that before!"

I said that I hadn't realised that & when the R.O. asked the pig-collander R.O. nearby the guy said no in a big way. At this point I was more than a little perplexed at why they ran the range that way and it was already 12 noon. I was supposed to be back at my folks place 45mins away at 12:30.
So I said:

"Can I set it up next change of targets?"

The answer with a few frowns and shruggs was "I guess so".

"Well, then," I asked "When is the next change?"

"One o'clock."

I'm not a man given to swearing but I really felt like it then.
Who changes targets once an hour?!!!
Maybe the benchrest guys who are retired and can spend literally hours there during the week are happy with the arrangement but I don't have the tie to waste. I'd dragged the rifle and ammo from home when we drove up to see my folks on Friday night, wasted a quarter of a tank of petrol getting out to the range, had already forked out $22 and now would go home with no targets. Only the excellent manners of a guy next to me who had a 3-9x40 scope on his .308 meant I got to see any of my shots after the change of targets.
I punched the final 2 PMC rounds onto paper and they hit the target.
And then I found out how much difference there is between US 8x57 factory loads and decent reloads........
I could literally feel the difference in the recoil.
And this wasn't on max, it was a good 4 grains below.
The Mauser was the loudest gun on range and the barrel warmed up quick, even though I left about 4 minutes between shots.
It tracked a diagonal line falling from right to left and the final shot was a flyer.
I only ended up firing 10 shots through it, both because it was smacking the heck out of my shoulder even with a slip-on pad and because I had little time and couldn't see the point in wasting ammo on targets I couldn't take home and examine closer.
I did however take the QuickTime movie so feel free to have a look if you wish.
It's a bit big and has no sound but I found it interesting to check out. It also revealed the fact that I really need to fix my bench rest technique.

http://www.geocities.com/kombicat/NetShootingPics/8x57PMC170gnSilverda le26-2-05.MOV

Suffice to say, next time I'll arrange more time and make sure I have a scope on it.

Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Hunterbug

Some ranges can be a real pain. We have one like that here. You never get to go get your target. You have a spotting scope to look through but that's it. That's why I pay 150 bucks a year to be a member at a club.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Gee, and I thought the PRK was bad.

I can only offer this advice, but you'll probably not like it for three or four decades. Get to know the R.O.s. They sound like the types that like their rings kissed. While that really grates on me, what is also true is that little petty-minded beaurocrats are very easy to manipulate. Stroke their egos, and in not time you'll be the one they're demonstrating how to "turn pigs into collanders" to. (I'd kinda like to hear that myself. :) )

You might find that a long drive to the "country" where you could "hook up" with a farmer/rancher that had some open space you could use for a range, might be a more satisfying alternative. But maybe "the country" is too far form Sydney to be a realistic option.

I feel for ya buddy. I really do.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Mark R

Kombi, that was an interesting little short film. Idon't think I'd be able to do a photo let alone a movin picture. I guess I'm Quite fortunate. The private range I belong to is 10 minutes away and $75 ayear for a family membership. It has it's shortcomings, being 1/4 mile from the Gulf of Mexico it's usually a bit breezy and it has only a 100 yd. rifle range but most times I have all to myself. Sounds like if you took 3 or 4 guns with you , you would have to be there all weekend.

Good luck
Mark
marktx

LLANOJOHN (deceased)

Good grief, Kombi.!!!!

I have never heard of a public range with an attitude like what you describe.  Unbelievable!!:mad:
I am a pretty easy goin' feller but even my "slow to boil" blood would be gaining temperature real fast.  Since I have a 100 yard range here on the property it is very seldom I use the services of any public range and the nearest one is about 22 miles away but it does have 200/300 yard targets.  And they supply a spotting scope at no charge.

Gitano's guide to "schmoozing" is probably very good advice...well, no probably to it!

What a pain!!:( :mad: :( :mad:
Life Member-NRA-TSRA
Riflesmith-Bolt & Lever Centerfires Only
Left-Hand Creek Rifles
Mark Twain was right-"There is no such thing as too much good whiskey!"
My best advice.."Best to stay outta trees and offa windmills!"

kombi1976

Well, in answer to Gitano's suggestion, I actually know of at least 2 people that would happily let me put a few shots into a target on their land and since I live about 2 hours south of Sydney they're only about a 1/2 hour drive away from my home town.
But thinkin' to myself "Gee, I'll use a proper range and do it right," I thought it'd be a successful experience.
You guys have all heard about the masterpiece of bureaucratic thuggery that has limited our local range to 1500fps so I was hoping for a good experience after that.
Lo and behold when I arrived in Sydney to shoot there things were even more ridiculous.
I realise they run it 7 days a week and have to pay costs & so range fees are fine.
But I also pay $75 a year to be part of the national association and there should be some compensation for members.
Suffice to say I'll be heading out to a friends place with some targets to shoot rested over the hood of my pickup.
I even tempted to send a letter of complaint to the association.
Maybe I'm picky, I dunno, but with a busy life and limited time in Sydney I didn't have time to stuff around and that seems to be a real past time.
Cheers & God Bless
22lr ~ 22 Hornet ~ 25-20 ~ 303/25 ~ 7mm-08 ~ 303 British ~ 310 Cadet ~ 9.3x62 ~ 450/400 N.E. 3"

Jay Edward (deceased)

Perhaps local members of your association could approach a sympathetic landowner and offer him some compensation to let you all develop a range on his property?

Tags: