1903 Frankingun

Started by sakorick, July 14, 2017, 01:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This 1923 03 started out life as a National Match and went through quite a bit of alterations during it's life. When I got it the stock was a Rock Island and the HG was a post WWII job. It had been parkerized, firing pin knob altered, Lyman receiver sight added and front sight upgraded. I had a real nice scant stock and handguard I had picked up at a flea marked about 15 years ago and it had been sitting in my shop in the barn. So I installed the new old stock(had to cut out the wood for the Lyman) and refinished it. Since I got old and my eyes went bad shooting a standard 03 was near impossible, however, now with the peep and little plastic knob on the front sight, I'm ready to rock and roll! The muzzle gauges at exactly 1 so she has a lot of life in her. I am a bit confused with the Lyman 48....it's the long expensive version graduated to 150. Problem is I can't figure out the graduations. I spent some time shooting it and the aperture drove me crazy. It's like a .030 pin hole! I couldn't see hardly a thing so I ordered a .095 from aperture and more and for 14 bucks delivered perhaps this will remedy my tired eye syndrome.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

Hunterbug

Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

branxhunter

Interesting one Rick. Sounds like it has a few stories to tell. I haven't seen a parkerised finish in the flesh, looks hard wearing. How is it applied?

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;148337Interesting one Rick. Sounds like it has a few stories to tell. I haven't seen a parkerised finish in the flesh, looks hard wearing. How is it applied?

Marcus

Marcus....The process involves submerging the metal part into a phosphoric acid solution whose key ingredient is often zinc or manganese, with varying additional amounts of nitrates, chlorates, and copper. In one of the many processes that have been developed, the solution is heated to a temperature of 88–99 °C (190–210 °F) for a period ranging between 5 and 45 minutes. A stream of small bubbles is emitted from the metal part as the process takes place; when the bubbling stops, the process is complete.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

Tags: