Range Report on 10/22 and SSS for 6-13-17

Started by gitano, June 13, 2017, 07:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

So I had some spare time this afternoon and it quit raining, so I decided to 'press on' with some more trigger time with the new personally-milled 10/22, the stainless steel, 1:9 twist, 0.920" bull barrel, and my favorite ammo, the Aguila SSS 60-grainers. I also recently picked up 300 rounds of CCI "Subsonic" 40-grainers (1050 f/s) and wanted to compare them to the SSS as well. I also had some new CCI "Mini Mag" 40-grain 1235 f/s I wanted to try too. So...

I set the target at the usual 35 yards for my back yard. Here is the CCI Subsonic 40-grain group. It took two shots to get 'on target', and it seemed clear to me that two more weren't going to improve this group.

And here's the 'analysis':

As you can see, nothing to 'write home about'. However, in fairness, I should probably try them in the 'finned' barrel, as 1) that barrel shoots straight, and 2) maybe these short bullets don't 'like' the 1:9 twist. I'll give them another 'shot' with the 1:16 twist finned barrel.

The "Mini Mag" was slightly worse. No need to show that target unless you really want to see it. I'll use the finned barrel for that cartridge as well, before I pass judgement on it.

You are about to see why I like the SSS. Here is a 10-shot group. The first three shots are the three to the right. The last seven obliterated the bullseye. And #4 was that high one at 11 o'clock. I'm liking this barrel and the new receiver!

And the analysis:

It was interesting to hear those last few shots. You could tell they weren't hitting anything but the backstop. That was cool.

Here are the numbers for those last seven shots:

That's 7 shots into 0.347". Just sub-MoA at 0.948. A dime is nominally 0.705" in diameter, so this group is half the size of a dime. Heck, even all 10 shots are covered by a dime. A moose's eye is about 2" in diameter. ;)

So... Looks like I've got a good combo for this rifle.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Just so I don't get accused of pulling a Towsley;

and

And remember, group sizes are calculated on center-to-center measurements, not edge-to-edge.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

It just dawned on me that the 'finned' barrel is also 1:9 twist. Which means that all three of my 10/22s are wearing 1:9 barrels. I'll have to try the CCI Subsonic in another rifle if the intent is to see how they shoot in the standard 1:16 twist.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

JaDub

Gonna be a lot of blind moose in them there hills.

Hunterbug

Nice groups with the 60gr. How hard are they for you to get up there?
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

gitano

Like hen's teeth and rocking horse poop.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

branxhunter

Nice work Paul. Looks like those 60gm loads shoot very well in your 10/22.

Marcus

Tags: