A time capsule

Started by sakorick, June 03, 2017, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

I have been looking for a 1903 National Match for years and the price was always too high or I was an hour short.....kind of a day late and a dollar short. Then last week my luck changed. I found one at Crosnoe's Guns right here in Missouri. They obviously didn't know that it was a NM. Probably because Wikipedia says the first NM rifles were made in 1921......not true! National Match rifles were made for US Officers for the specific reason of competition. After each year of use they were turned in, torn apart, and overhauled for the next year. This went on for several years then the Great War broke out and there was an interruption until 1919 when NM rifles were again produced. The rifle I found has a 12-19 barrel, however, it was made in 1920(there were lots of barrels to use up post war). It wasn't until 1921 or 22 that the star gauge was stamped on the muzzle, then the inspector added his number at various places, the the bolts were SN etched in 1926. There are 3 indicators that confirm a pre 1921 National Match rifle. First they were made in batches so it you think you have one and it falls into the known SN list there is a good chance that it is. But, there are 2 more conclusive tests to pass.....they must have a bolt in the white and a fine checkered butt plate.....only NM rifle were built this way. The standard 1903 has a smooth butt plate and a blued bolt.....no exceptions until years later when the course checkered Butt plate came out. The Muzzle gauges under 0, a pair of rare PJ O'hare covers, a Buck sling with 1907 patent and a WWI oiler I found in the cubby. D.A.L. is Daniel A. Leary, a prolific inspector at Springfield Armory from 1917-1932.

Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

branxhunter

Looks to be in great condition Rick.

What are those covers in the second last photo - do they protect the sights? And what is the significance of the stamp in the last photo - is this what is called the flaming bomb?

Marcus

sakorick

Quote from: branxhunter;148020Looks to be in great condition Rick.

What are those covers in the second last photo - do they protect the sights? And what is the significance of the stamp in the last photo - is this what is called the flaming bomb?

Marcus

Yes they are rare sight protectors. Guys that shot these were in intense competition and the covers were a kind of safety. If you notice, the rear protector was made in UK. The flaming bomb was the Ordnance Corps Proof mark. It was later changed to the Ordnance Corps insignia, a wheel with crossed canons. Here is the OC cannons on my Inland M1 carbine.

gitano

WOW! Congratulations!

You are of course going to shoot it, right?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;148023WOW! Congratulations!

You are of course going to shoot it, right?

Paul

Right!

JaDub

Hunterbug

Nice! I can't wait to see the tiny little groups you'll shoot with it.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

sakorick

Quote from: Hunterbug;148046Nice! I can't wait to see the tiny little groups you'll shoot with it.

With my eyes? Not a chance.....but you on the other hand.......:grin:

Bill Thibeault

I'm pretty sure all NM 1903's had leather slings.  Such slings are used almost exclusively for National Matches, even today when AR-15's are the most popular rifles for those matches.  The only portion of the match where slings are not allowed is the 200 yard standing offhand course of fire.  Slings are allowed, and used, on the 200 yard standing-to-sitting, 300 yard standing-to-prone, and 600 yard prone portions of the match.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."(George Orwell)

sakorick

Quote from: Bill Thibeault;148105I'm pretty sure all NM 1903's had leather slings.  Such slings are used almost exclusively for National Matches, even today when AR-15's are the most popular rifles for those matches.  The only portion of the match where slings are not allowed is the 200 yard standing offhand course of fire.  Slings are allowed, and used, on the 200 yard standing-to-sitting, 300 yard standing-to-prone, and 600 yard prone portions of the match.

True for NMR's built after 1922. Not for the earlier ones. The preferred sling was the Kerr Nobuck-l style. I believe the rules were a lot different back then as well.

Tags: