.22 RF Muzzle Velocity Data

Started by gitano, January 07, 2016, 02:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmboy

Have you got more than one lot number of mini mag?

farmboy

Other thought are you resting on a front bag with no front handhold? Do you think that the blowback action may be in movement just before the bullet exits and perhaps wobbles the barrel or gun?

gitano

Quote from: farmboy;144172Other thought are you resting on a front bag with no front handhold? Yes.
Do you think that the blowback action may be in movement just before the bullet exits and perhaps wobbles the barrel or gun? Yes. However, what I have LONG "heard" is that the bullet from a .22 RF rifle exits the muzzle LONG before the bolt on a semi-auto even STARTS to move rearward.

I think I have another 100 Mini Mag box. I'll check the lot numbers.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Yes it would not move when I think about it that would be dangerous

gitano

I have 3, 100-round boxes of Mini Mags. The two not yet opened have the same lot #. The one I have been using is different from those two. I don't THINK this a lot-to-lot issue (but I could be wrong), so I will not open the other two boxes to "test things" yet. If after shooting the bolt gun(s) the phenomenon remains, I'll break open those boxes and shoot them through the Krico and the two 10/22s to see if there is any difference.

The barrel lengths (bolt face to muzzle) of the 3 rifles so far shot are:
10/22 1:9 twist - 16 and 9/16ths inches,
10/22 1:16 twist - 18 inches,
Krico: 22 and 1/2 inches.

Maybe the Krico is a little slower because the barrel is "too long".:huh2::stars:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Not easily dividable into each other either. I know it's more work but might be interesting to try the other lot number on one rifle. I would be interested also knowing how close factory velocity s are to the average of all the guns
That use one kind of ammo.

gitano

QuoteI would be interested also knowing how close factory velocity s are to the average of all the guns That use one kind of ammo.
That information will be available for all the guns and all the ammo when I am finished.

So far, the factory advertised MVs are within about 5% of observed if I remember correctly. I think all of the observed are lower, but I'm not certain of that. ("You" can look back through the values as easily as I can, and I think the pictures of the ammo have the advertised MVs in them.)

Paul

PS - Nope. I went and looked and the only pictures with advertised MVs are from the CCI ammo. I'll post advertised MVs IF I can find them. Not all manufacturers advertise MVs. Some just say "standard velocity".

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Hokay...

Because of the "first shot" phenomenon, and the "horizontal" nature of the Mini Mag groups with all three semi-auto rifles so far shot, I decided the next rifle should be a bolt action rifle. I chose the Anschutz target rifle. I'm very glad I did. :D:D:D:D:D Another THL member that live's here in The Valley - "knotman" - came over to visit, and we took the Anschutz out to shoot. We shot five shots each of each bullet. As a result, there will be 10 MV values recorded for each bullet type. However, since we are looking at group size, in order to keep the comparisons to "apples to apples" (or "pauls to pauls"), I'll present our groups separately.

WRT the two issues of first shot phenomenon and horizontal grouping of Mini Mags:
Both appear to be semi-auto action related. Neither knotman nor I produced horizontal groups with the Mini Mag. Neither did the rifle exhibit the first shot phenomenon with any of the ammo types. As far as I'm concerned, the correlation with semi-auto action is ALMOST 'resolved'. I will have to look at other semis and other bolt guns, but I will be VERY surprised if we see the 'anomalies' in any of the bolt guns.

The small, lightly colored squares, in the real target, are 0.2" squares - 5 to an inch.

The Remington Golden Bullet:

The CCI Mini Mag:

The Aguila Interceptor:

The Federal #712:

Winchester 36-grain HP:

I was very pleased with these groups. :D The Interceptor shot "fastest" AND shot a VERY small group. The bottom bullet hole in the Winchester group was "operator error". That could have been an even smaller group.

I didn't think the Anschutz would shoot the Aguila SSS without keyholing, but I was hoping to get MVs. No soap on either account. Look at the target for the Federal #712. You can see the only SSS I shot. It was sideways at 25 yd, and I got no MV, so no need to waste ammo.

There was a stiff breeze from the left, and I couldn't really get 'comfortable' at the table, so I am fairly certain this rifle is capable of better groups. After this exercise, I am going to shoot it again but at 50 yd.

Normally, I use the "unknown" bullets to make sure I am "on paper", and such was the case today. OY! I didn't even bother recording the "pattern" size, but notice the MVs. I THINK these might have been YellowJackets.

I'll post knotman's groups and stats next.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here's the Anschutz's real, whole target:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

Here are knotman's data:

Remington Golden Bullet:

CCI Mini Mag:

Aguila Interceptor:

Federal #712:

Winchester 36-gr HP:

Here are composites of knotman's and my groups:
Remington Golden Bullet:

CCI Mini Mag:

Aguila Interceptor:

Federal #712:

Winchester 36-gr HP:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

gitano

I have put a new thread in the "Reference Library" sub-site: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19012

It contains just the data. I created it so that folks that just wanted the MV data for a bunch of ammo in a bunch of rifles could find it without having to wade through all the ancillary information here. I will continue to post the data both here and there, and continue with the discussions here.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Great thread and a ton of info here.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Now is that a "ton" or a "tonne" of info?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

farmboy

Well it definitely is not a short ton also not a long ton. It must be a long rifle ton!

Tags: