Range Report - .358 Steyr - 5-28-15

Started by gitano, May 28, 2015, 08:58:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drinksgin (deceased)

Hope it does well this time.
I always prefer to cut a chamber by hand, afraid I would do too much under power.
Just chicken that way.
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

The older I get the less I like to do "under power", especially in woodworking. Woodworking tools - even the powered ones - are much more hand-held than in metal-working. With powered tools, one can often, (but not as often as many people think), get the job done faster. However, one can also screw something up MUCH faster AND... usually, the screw-up is catastrophic. "Unplugged", there is more time to realize "oops, I've got this wrong", AND that realization usually occurs before the piece is irreparably damaged. That's almost never the case with powered tools.

I must admit that this "new" barrel is 0.610" shorter than it was going to be because I was didn't 'flip all the levers' I was supposed to when I started cutting the threads. (The last threads I cut - for the AR-10 barrel - were 16 pitch.) I flipped the other levers and got the timing started right (two levers and a dial), but forgot to set the pitch gearing. (Two more levers.) Those 16-pitch threads were beautiful, but the 12-pitch Mauser receiver just wouldn't screw on regardless of how hard I tried.:oops:  :Banghead: No alternative but to cut the stub off and start over. It is true however, that had I seen the error soon enough, I could have saved the original stub.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

The practise is usually to do a marking pass then check with a gauge - just to be sure!
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

gitano

That practice occurred to me. AFTER THE FACT!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I do recall my old man telling me, at the age of about 14, mark once,cut twice, mark twice, cut once, or some such.
Have I always done that, OH YEH, like you would believe me.

;<)

:oops::MOGRIN:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

gitano

Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;139652I'm blaming coffee...

Paul

A ex submariner blaming coffee? Brrrrhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:MOGRIN:
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!:greentongue:

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

Alboy

I heard one that applies here.

LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE IS A HARD MISTRESS. SHE TESTS YOU FIRST THEN TEACHES THE LESSON.
Alboy
BLACKPOWDER WATERFOWLER
KATY TEXAS PRAIRIE

THIS TOO SHALL PASS

Hunterbug

Quote from: AlboyLEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE IS A HARD MISTRESS. SHE TESTS YOU FIRST THEN TEACHES THE LESSON.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: