Good day at the range

Started by sakorick, April 13, 2015, 11:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sakorick

This morning, the Postman brought me a package from the UK. The package contained an "Alain special". I had sent him a 1903 front sight and base for modification. You see, I just can't see the skinny front sight blade of a 1903/A3 rifle anymore. Moreover, the regular front sight blades were made to zero at 547 yards. The Marines had a modifed blade that was 3/10" high and much thicker.....but  try to lay your hands on one!

The Allen special is a tad over 1/10 inch wide and nearly 1/2 inch high. I immediately installed the sight which fit like a glove, cranked the peep up about 1/2 way and shot a 50 yard test which was about 1 1/2" low and dead center. I cranked up the peep 12 clicks and shot a spectacular(for me) 1 3/4" five shot group at 100 yards. This will be my primary deer rifle this season.  The load data is military brass, Win Primer, 47.9 gr RL15, 150 gr Sierra Pro Hunter(Blems) 35 thousandts off the lands. Not bad for a 86 year old rifle and a near 70 year old tired old eyed helicopter jockey! It's been a real good day.
Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.

gitano

Excellent! Nice to have something 'work', eh? As opposed to the High Standard .22 auto.

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

sakorick

Quote from: gitano;138666Excellent! Nice to have something 'work', eh? As opposed to the High Standard .22 auto.

Paul

Words cannot describe.....but yes, another frustrating day turned aces thanks to the Springfield!

buckshot roberts

:antlers:can't wait to see the post on the deer, one nice 03..............Ron
We got too complicated......It\'s all way over rated....I like the old and out dated way of life........I miss back when..

j0e_bl0ggs (deceased)

Man, that looks tall on the rifle!
Glad you are happy with it Rick - don't forget the bambi shots later in the year.
Turvey Stalking
Learn from the Limeys or the Canucks, or the Aussies, or the Kiwis, or the...
                   "The ONLY reason to register a firearm is for future confiscation - How can it serve ANY other purpose?"

sakorick

Both the top of the front sight and center of the peep sit almost exactly one inch from the top of the barrel. This makes for a perfect spot weld/eye alignment for me.......PERFECT! I'll try to take a picture of it today.

Jorge in Oz

Nice one Rick.

I love that your range is your backyard. :MOGRIN:
"The Germans brought the best hunting rifle to the war. The Americans brought the best target rifle. The British brought the best battle rifle!"

"The early church was married to poverty, prisons and persecutions. Today, the church is married to prosperity, personality, and popularity." ― Leonard Ravenhill

JaDub

Looks nice ,Rick.   Very nice.

Hunterbug

Nice shooting, Rick. Next time that Paul and I make it out to fish we'll bring more bullet throwers along and have a real blast. ;)
Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life.

The unarmed man is is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli

Tags: