Cast .22 Bullets

Started by gitano, April 07, 2015, 03:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitano

Does the HP pin deform the cast projectile very much? "Very much" is in the eye of the beholder. If you compare the pictures of the unmodified bullets with the HP'd bullets, you can see the level of change. From my "beholder's eye", I see SOME difference, and because of that, I run the HP'd bullets back through the Lee sizing die after HP'ing. I seat the  HP pin only until its 'lip' just 'kisses' the tip of the bullet's nose. I'm trying NOT to get a 'flat'.

Is the die used to hold the projectile a straight .2235" like a Lee push through die? Might be 0.224" but I haven't measured it.

I'm asking because I'm wondering if I get a HP pin made up to fit into a Lee sizer, which I already have, this might be a way to get it to work easily for me. I think that is an excellent idea. If you were to do the HP'ing in the Lee die, the diameter would be "right".

On the lube, and I am most certainly no expert, but when I have used unlubed projectiles they have leaded very badly very quickly. When I used lube, even cheap and easy LLA, the leading has been nil or very little. What was the MV of the bullets in the above comparison?

I do know that bullet fit is important. I have shot some .314" projectiles in my No. 4 with the projectile seated out to engage the rifling and pan lubed and they worked very well. The same projectile sized to .311 and they leaded very badly. This is something that frustrates the hell out of me. How is one supposed to find that out other than by trial and error, AND no one has any rule of thumb other than "0.001 inch over groove diameter". Clearly this rule of thumb is essentially useless because MANY, just like you, point out that the size that leads least is significantly larger than 0.001" over groove diameter. What that leaves is purchasing sizing dies for EVERY caliber from nominal to 0.010" over groove in 0.001" increments AND THEN testing each one to see which one "works" AND THEN throwing away the USELESS ONES! Makes me wanna cuss just thinking about it. I HATE cast bullets. That's why I use ONLY gas-checked ones.

All this talk has got me remotivated and I have ordered a Lee 185gn .312" mold which I will use in my .303, and when sized down to .311" in my .308 if all goes well. Please don't let my frustration dampen that enthusiasm!

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

22hornet

I was loading 24 - 26gns AR2206H in my .303 for about 1600- 1800fps.
In the .308 I loaded 18gns AR2205 for about 1600fps.
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

gitano

Those seem to be the upper end of the velocity range for minimal leading with lube only. I've read a lot about people shooting a lot faster than that without leading (and gas checks), but I had no way to verify their claims, and others more experienced than I questioned them.

How often did you clean your barrels in the .303 and .308? When you did clean them, what did you use?

Paul
Be nicer than necessary.

drinksgin (deceased)

I am not a lot of help, I almost always use gas checks, the ones I do not use gas checks on are mostly below 1200fps, the exception being the Lee 405gr HP  which I have shot at 1300-1400 fps , with plenty of LBT soft blue or Lar's red, applied hot  and with a bullet of at least 14BHN.
I ALWAYS believe everything I am told!!!!!!!!!!!

:sarc::eek:
NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, GOA, CCRKBA, DEF -CON

22hornet

Quote from: gitano;138646How often did you clean your barrels in the .303 and .308? When you did clean them, what did you use?

Paul

I cleaned the barrels when I finished shooting, about 20 to 30 rounds. I simply used a wire brush, then an oiled patch like I always do. I like to keep things simple. :)
"Belief:" faith in something taught, as opposed to "knowledge:" which is awareness borne of experience.

Tags: